How old was your child when they started riding a bike without training wheels?

My son will be 6 in July and he still cant. He's not even close.

Is he wayyyy past the normal age? b/c I feel like he is.

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 6:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is 7 and can't yet. They will get there.
    Anonymous

• Really??? Oh, now I dont feel so bad. :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My daughter didn't "get it" until she was 7.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Really. I feel the same as you lol. I'm not gonna push him though. I figure when he wants to do it without the training wheels he will.

Last year I took him to the Metro Parks and he fell in tall grass and when he did you couldn't see where he landed. I thought I was going to pee myself lol so hard.

Anonymous

• My daughter will be 7yrs this summer. And she still doesn't know how to. I learned how when I was 5yrs old. My daughter doesn't want to. She can ride her bike w/training wheels perfectly fine-but doesn't want to take them off. She said she is afraid she will fall and get hurt.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my son will b 6 in aug, i feel like you, we are working on it but he is scared
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• He'll get there. My eight year has rode now for almost three years without training wheels. My 10 year old started riding a bike this past Christmas. He just got started going down a hill and figured it out.
    paralegal09

Answer by paralegal09 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My son road at 5 1/2 (first week of July). If he were a summer baby he would have been just like your son. If you live in northern state he has less opportunity to practice so the norm in NJ is 5 or 6 (usually 6 for summer birthdays)
    Anonymous

• My 2 will be 7 in July and they still don't know how to ride w/o wheels. We are going to start working on it very hard as soon as the weather gets warm.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My son who is now 11 earned how to ride a bike without training wheels when he was 4. My daughter is 6 and still is struggling. I am not going to push her. All children do things at different times.
    AnGeLsPenCer

Answer by AnGeLsPenCer at 10:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2009