how did you wean?

not about nursing...about weaning off formula! I have been nursing up untill a couple weeks ago. my son self-weaned (he'll be 1 on the 19th!) =(
I have been supplementing as well and the dr. gave me the thumbs up to wean him off formula. he kinda gave me basic advice, like if I am giving him a 6 oz bottle, to slowly add milk and reduce the water to mix. is this correct? so like instead of 6 oz, I do 5 oz and 1 oz regular milk? how long do I keep it like this till I progress to more reg. milk? like 3 days? a week? and do I do 1 oz at a time? so after the waiting period I do 1 oz, then 2? advice appreciated!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 6:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can either just make the switch (what we did all three times) or you can mix it

The most common way is 75% formula/25% milk, then 50/50 then 25% formula/75% milk...then all milk....letting the baby drink the mix until they take it easily and readily.

Personally, I'd just make the switch and be done with it unless you have formula to use up anyway! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• this is how I did it... I began with an 8oz bottle. 6oz formula 2oz milk... every 3 days I did 2 more oz of milk & 2 less oz of formula til it was just milk. my son weaned himself too before I was ready to be done nursing... broke my heart... but he took to the milk really well that way & didn't have any problems... GL :)
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 6:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my dd wont get milk. she'll get her calcium from other dairy products. when my niece stopped nursing she just go cheese and yogurts and stuff like that. occationally she'll drink chocolate milk, but thats very rare. but i guess you could mix it or just switch.
    hilwiesemann

Answer by hilwiesemann at 10:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009