my daughter is obsessed with body noises

if she passes gas she has to tell everyone in the room that "my butt made noise" if she burps she has to tell everyone "not me it was my mouth" and she fake sneezes until you say bless you. if she hears you sit on the toilet she asks if your butt made noise (we have a cushioned seat so you hear the air come out when you sit down)...i've tried telling her you just say excuse me and move on but she doesn't get it. she thinks its hillarious and its kind of embarassing walking through the grocery store and when something sounds like someone passing gas (it could be anything) she squeals "mommy, not my butt! mommy did your butt make noise???" any ideas or tips?

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 6:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe try before leaving home, before store or someone's house, in store, leaving, at home when home remind her of polite behavior and she's not being polite? If she misbehaves tell you she looses something and if it continues something else goes for x days per loss. That's what I do with my daughter who's a teen shoulda done it years ago. HOw old is y our daughter?
    Anonymous

• well shes only 3, so its hard to not have an immediate punishment for it. and i don't really want to punish her for it since she is only 3, i just want a way to get her over it i guess.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Most three year olds understand no said sternly and no tv tonight or no candy that I was going to by you. If words are working then a small punishment might be in order. But whichever with my three kids if I don't keep up proper behavior in public then they used to all go down hill. My husband's family was mostly boys, glad I have just one and two girls. You don't be physically mean or emotionally mean, although she'll think you are. But if you don't she'll continue doing it because her emotional age is being told it's ok. You're not a bad mom for taking a toy away for being naughty or not tv for a while . That's more being a better mom teaching early on what good behavior is and why. Probably you've said body smells are private but it's not working so try something else.
    Anonymous