How do I introduce finger foods?

My son is 8 months and I'm pretty sure he's old enough to start finger foods, but I'm just so afraid he will choke. I bought some of those Gerber yogurt puffs and they look so big! He's been eating jarred food with a spoon since 5 months but he's not accustomed to chewing so I don't know how to go about introducing finger foods. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gerber also sells some other puffs that are star shaped. They are smaller then the yogurt ones and dissolve in their mouths. Start with those and work your way on up to other things such as cheerios. Just make sure you know what to do in case he does choke and don't worry. Just watch him eat so that you are aware.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 7:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My daughter loves the yogurt puffs, I was freaked out too at first, but try one, they disolve really quick in your mouth. Or try to teething biscuits or the zweiback toast. Both of these disolve really well too, and they are hard enough when dry not to take a chunk off to choke on too. Another good thing is cheerios
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 7:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I put them on the tray in front of them when they were 6 months. After a few times of showing them how to get it in their hands and put it in their mouths, they were off and eating like champs!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Anothe good thing is the Gerber bitter bisquits. They are very soft and are how my son first learned to feed himself.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2009