How can I teach my 2 yr. old to..........

I have a beautiful 2 year old princess she got into the habit of biting her nails and I cant make her stop. What can I do? I tell her repeatdly not to do it but she still does. Also how can I start teaching her to clean up after herself? I sit there and i tell her to help and show her. But once i grab her hand and walk her and tell her were to put her toys she starts crying. I even punished her from playing with her toys and that didnt work either. I try not to spank her and talk to her because she is human but I will like her to get out of these nasty habits. What can i do?????

Queen_B619

Asked by Queen_B619 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you go to sallys beauty supply, there is a nail polish that is supposed to taste horrible. its made for breaking the nail bitting habit. as far as cleaning up after herself, we try to make everything a game with my 2 year old. every time she cleans something up, tell her "yay" and clap and be very excited. i hope this helps. message me anytime if you need any other tips and i will do my best to help :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• by the way, she is soooo CUTE!
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• the making it a game worked for my daughter as well. and also, if shes already pulled out all her leggos and wants to play with something else, she wasn't allowed to pull anything else out until the leggos where picked up. that way it didn't turn into a huge disaster that was just too overwhelming for her. as for the nail biting they have stuff at walmart too. do whatever you can to break the habit i started really young and still do it sometimes when im really nervous or really bored. its a horrible habit that is very hard to break when they get older.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• For the nail biting: You can't. My daughter has a similar habit and everything I've looked into says to do nothing unless they are biting their nails so badly that the bleed, to just wait until they outgrow it or want to stop the habit themselves. Telling her no, taking her hands out of her mouth, or even punishing her may very well make her do it more. It's a stress relief or a bordom filler... making more stress makes it worse.

For cleaning up: Help her. Take a look at the toys scattered around and say "Put all of your blocks in this bin while I pick up your books." You can make it a game and say "Let's see who finishes first" but the critical thing is to give her a small, directed task. "Clean up your toys" is just too big. Tell her which one thing to do. When that's done, give her another until everything is put away.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009