Self Defense

I would like to know what can I do to protect myself/daughter from harms way when I am walking or out. I was told from a Police Station, that there are good mace and bad mace. Another told me that it is definately illegal to carry any of it. I want to find something that can help us right away when aproached, until I can get us into self defense classes. My daughter was Raped last year. I was told to get a whistle or stick. Any suggestions would help Thanks BeautifulMom327

beautifulmom327

Asked by beautifulmom327 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is a kind of mace that you can carry, and if you can find that Bonaca (breath spray) has the same effect as mace....
    Anonymous

• I am so sorry your daughter was raped.I can't imagine what she and you went thru. I think you have to walk like you are not afraid.Even if you were, pretend.But when it came to protecting my child, it wouldn't matter to me if my weapon for our defense was legal or not.Do what you gotta do.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 7:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Take a self defense class with your daughter. They are usually free or low-cost, and you can get all your answers there as to what you can and can not carry legally, and where to get it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i would get a whistle and a stick, try not to walk after dark. walk during the afternoon if possible, or around dinner time, more people are on the roads at this time so more people will see you out and about. don't wear headphones or just keep them in one ear not both. program 911 into your cell phone and keep it in your hands or pockets where you can grab it if you see someone suspicious coming your way and be ready to dial. if for some reason someone does attack keep your palm open and palm out bring your arm up and with the bottom of your palm strike the nose hard, then go for the balls. then run like hell screaming bloody murder. i would get into a self defense class asap though
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I'm so sorry that your daughter was raped and commend you for both supporting her and doing something about it! Have you gotten her and perhaps yourself into counseling?

As a rape/incest survivor and living in a state with a high rate of pedophiles, I've asked my local police what I can carry for self protection. They said the laws vary within each state, but mine allows one to carry tasers. I purchased one for my teenager. She can't carry it to school but otherwise yes. The website I purchased from has a wide variety ofitems. Go to: www:defenseproducts101.com

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Sorry to hear that. I think tazers are legal.

sgrbear

Answer by sgrbear at 8:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I carry a whistle I got from Dicks Sporting Goods that can be heard over a mile.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 11:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I put it on my keychain . . .
    Senae

• Some places have laws about what sort of pepper spay, mace, etc that you can carry, or what you have to do to carry it. Here's some things you can carry though that are legal everywhere and that are good self defense things. Plus, with the sprays, sometimes things like wind direction and stuff can affect their effectiveness.

1 - keys. Have a pretty full key chain, even if they're not really to anything. You hold the key chain part in your hand, tucking the keys between your fingers (sort of like home - made :knuckles"). Someone grabs you, you rake these across their face, jab them in the eyes with them, etc. It;s GONNA hurt. Plus, it's gonna mark them so they'll be easier to find - it's the dude in the green shirt with scratches down his face...

2 - a comb. I mean the kind with a long, pointy handle end. Again, stab at them with the pointed end.

It's not illegal to carry either of these things.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• cont

Perfume is another good thing to spray in their eyes, again, not illegal to carry.

Also, if someone is grabbing you, and has you from behind, hand over mouth - grab their pinkie finger and snap it backwards. It's a very easy part of the body to break, and it's painful. It can help you get away.

Another thing - if someone grabs you, do NOT scream for HELP - yell FIRE!!!! Sadly, too many times when someone hears help, they think trouble, and they don't want to get involved. They hear fire, and they're much more likely to come running, or to call 911. Usually, cops respond to fires as well, and even if not, you get dudes with sirens starting to show up, regardless of who it is, he's not going to be as likely to stick around and try to rape you,

These are all things I learned in a self defense class I took once. Hope it helps!

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2009