Is it bad to let my baby fall asleep with her pacifier in her mouth?

I'm a first time mom and my baby falls asleep with her pacifier in her mouth all the time. She doesn't use it all day long or anything, but when it's time to go to sleep, she usually fusses if she doesn't have it. She is 2 months old and is starting to sleep through the whole night now, and I'm worried that this might be bad for her to sleep with it in her mouth for 5-7 hours at a time. Sometimes it'll fall out in the middle of the night, and sometimes it stays in all night. I've heard that babies use the sucking of the pacifier as self-soothing, but should I worry?

yessi_02

Asked by yessi_02 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry. Thats how my daughter falls asleep too. It really is a self-soothing thing, and you shouldn't let it bother you until she gets a little older (towards a year) then think about weening.

And good for you for not giving it to her during the day! I hate seeing babies with them in their mouths "just because".. My daughter only gets hers at nap/bed time.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my daughter still uses hers to sleep. she usually just holds it but sometimes will keep it in her mouth til she passes out (shes 3, no bashing) but no i was never told it was an issue when she was that young to let her have it while she sleeps, as long as she's not too stuffy it wont affect her breathing and if she is stuffy she will spit it out so she can breath through her mouth. it is a way of self soothing, i would take it as a blessing that she puts herself to sleep with it and you dont have to find ways to make her self sooth. but i will say try to get rid of it when its appropriate it is so hard right now to get rid of my daughters and shes almost 3 1/2
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It's no problem at all. It's a soother and it soothes her to sleep. My babies used pacifiers till they were about 2 years old and most of the time to sleep.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• a pacifire is better to fall asleep with then a bottle a pacifire wont cause tooth decay
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My doctor said if they will take it that it's fine for them to sleep with it. They also said it reduces the risk of SIDS. Neither of my kids would take a pacifier but i've heard nothing but good things from people whos kids sleep with them. So i wouldn't worry too much about it.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 8:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have heard now studies say passys are good for babies,reduces the risk of sids.Because if the baby stops breathing,they will start sucking,or something like that. you could look it up,but I am sure she will be fine
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• No and so cute to sit there and watch them stop sucking then start back over and over again. Its so darn cute!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• No, it's not bad at all. It actually reduces the risk of SIDS.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• dont be worried at all, be relieved! It helps reduce sids and if it helps her sleep then so be it. My dd used to sleep with it all the time but about a month 1/2 ago(shes 9 months) she weened herself off of it!!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I've heard is safer if they sleep with it. It reduces SIDS
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2009