Why do I have to like pets?

I grew up with all likes of pets against my will. My father would bring in pets and I would be forced to take care of them. Now I am an adult and I can't stand around pets... so people look down their noses at me.. why don't I have the same rights at a pet owner?

dancelinemom

Asked by dancelinemom at 8:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pets

• Lol. Anyone who looks down on your for not liking pets needs to get a life.
    Pets aren't for everyone, just like children and that's OK.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 8:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• You don't, and it's good that you know it. I'm irritated by people that go way overboard with their pets.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I know....I have dog now that is driving me crazy. I thought I was doing a good thing by adopting him from a shelter.....but he is so demanding and needy and destructive.(He chews on furniture, pilows, even the wall...) I can't even leave the room to take a shower because he will destroy something so I have to put him in his crate. @@ WHY do I have to be in love with this dog? I had three children that were wonderful and lovable and now I have five grandchildren . They are human beings and I love them. My dog is a dog. Need I say more? I think I made a mistake.....
    Anonymous

• I know the feeling. I have a friend that bought a dog and she doesnt understand that just because she has a pet that everyone must like her pet. She brings the dog whenever we take the kids somewhere and if they come to visit. Some people see their pets as another member of the family and to people who dont own or wish to be around pets its so irritating.
    Anonymous

• sometimes i don't want my pets, like when they get out, pee in the house, chew my baby's toys and wake me from their barking. i could get rid of them but my poodle as she is the better one and then one cat.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I am with you. I don't care for pets. I get the same reaction fro people about my lack of fondness of them.
    I just don't tell anyone anymore.
    We have a cat, who only likes me. He will only cuddle me and will only let me pet him. Me...the one who doesn't care for him...what is with that?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I love animals and it doesn't bother me if people don't...my mom and her sibs grew up in the country and had alot of barn cats...so she hates cats lol .
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• nathskitten, thats so sweet lol.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Hey I like pets and I adore my own dog and cat, but I don't expect everybody else to love or even like them. If they don't like them or pets in general, that's just fine. Just because you don't like pets doesn't make you a bad person or a person who should be looked down on. You have a perfect right to your own likes and dislikes, just like everyone else.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i dont care if ya dont like pets..and i dont look down on people that dont like pets..i only look down on ppl if theyre beating/abusing them..me personally..i couldnt live without a dog...when my last dog died it took me 3 years to get over him..i just wasnt ready for another one..so i got one a lil over a year ago, and just got 2 more puppies a month ago...love 'em!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2009