Ok, Im married but we are separated and Ive been living with my 2 yr old's father for 4 years{been together 5 years}, could I get married in Mexico and it be legit?

Would I be considered a bigamist?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 8:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• And bash the hell out of me too!! But I still want your honest opinion.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I'm not sure if it would be recognized in America if you were married still here, but I am sure it would be legal in Mexico. Why not just get divorced from current husband?
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 8:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• As for marrying while youre still married, I wouldnt be surprised if you could do this in Mexico. However I have heard if you get married out of the country, its not considered a legal marriage. I could be wrong though..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I pretty sure that your second marriage, while already married would not be legal. Why won't you divorce the first one?
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• no it wouldn't be legit, yes you would a bigamist. at least i think that is what i think my mom told me but you would have to let the american embassy know that you have been married abroad and then they will see that your already married, otherwise your marriage wouldn't be legit. they have courts to file the marriage license and the same rules as here and since if this is the case your not a citizen then you have to go through their system showing married abroad and you would have to get a citizenship and all would be exposed so no. i don't think. i'm not 100% sure i would ask a mexican attorney.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• AK_ARIES HES AN IDIOT AND IS MAKING IT HARD FOR ME. RIGHT NOW HES STATIONED IN CALIFORNIA IN THE ARMY. HE KEEPS TELLING ME HELL TAKE CARE EVERYTHING BUT I THINK HES LEADING ME ON. I KNOW I KNOW I SHOULD JUMP RIGHT ON IT BUT FOR SOME ODD REASON I THINK ILL BE LOSING MONEY BECAUSE HE SAYS HES NOT GONNA SIGN ANYTHING AND LET HIM DO IT. YEA HE FULL OF SHIT!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yes, you would be a bigamist. If you are already married (doesn't matter if you are seperated, you have not gotten a divorce) and get married to someone else, you are a bigamist. Whether that 2nd marriage takes place here or in another country. The US would have to recognize your marriage from another country and being as you are already married, unless you want to take up residence in Mexico, when you come back here... you are a bigamist.
    Anonymous

• havnt you watched The Hills? lol
    No its not Legit to get married in Mexico, it wont be recognized here in the US. I only know that thanks to Hiedi and Spencer.lol
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 9:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• The US would recognize your marriage in Mexico (they have to) but not if you are already married here. How long has your husband been gone?
    (just trying to get you some info that might actually help besides doing something illegal)
    Anonymous

• DAMMIT!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009