How often should I put my child on the toilet?

I am starting to potty train my little girl who is 17mths old. I am unsure however how often troughout the day i should be taking her to the potty? someone told me every 15min,but i have read every 30min...not sure really what would be best any advice?

jesserenea

Asked by jesserenea at 9:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• every 45 minutes or so. i also bought a couple of potty chairs for the common rooms in the house to get her comfortable with sitting on the pot.

good luck mama!
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Usually every 45 minutes. The goal is to take her often enough that you eventually catch her at the right moment and she pees in the potty. The more success she has going in the potty, which in turn gets much praise or rewards from you and the less accidents she has in her pants is what you want. If you write down the times you take her that she is wet or soiled and also the times she goes in the potty, you will begin to get an idea of how often she goes and certain times she always goes (ex. always has a BM after lunch) If she is dry after waking in the am or after nap, take her right away. She will be really ready to go! After you start taking her on a timed schedule, you may find that you need to take her more often or less often. When it is time to go don't ask, just tell her it is time to potty & go! I suggest that if she starts having alot of success and stays dry for longer periods, DO NOT GO WITH PULL-UPS!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I asked my toddler every 30 minutes if they had to go potty and would take her to the bathroom whenever I had to go. I would have her sit with a story book every 45 minutes. You can try and keep track of when they have a bowel movement...mine would usually go the same time during the day. That helps a little. Good luck and just keep trying.
    berg4

Answer by berg4 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2009