How do you know if your baby is constipated?

My 5 week old has only had one BM today and she has had lots of gas. I keep thinking I hear her poop but then I check the diaper and nada. I don't want to let it go too long...when is the poin to take her to the dr?

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 9:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call your doctor by tomorrow if she hasn't had BM by morning?
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If she is really fussy that could be a sign that she is constipated and also if her tummy is really hard. I agree with raemommy. Call your doc tomorrow and see what they can do.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Breastfed or formula fed? It is normal for BF babies to start having fewer, bigger BMs around 6 weeks old. Check out "Is my breastfed baby constipated?" at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• if breastfed, not all babies poop every day...it varies! FF babies poop a lot. when my son had trapped gas he always arched his back as if in pain and his tummy felt hard. if your DD doesnt seem to be in pain, maybe she just doesnt have to poop. if she does seem to be in pain, you can try to release pressure without medicine, by gently massaging the tummy in a clockwork motion and also try doing bicycle legs, rotating the legs and bending the knees to the tummy. if that doesnt seem to work and she still seems to be in any pain, ask the doc!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2009