why do

was just curious---why do catholics pray to saints and not always to "god"--can't that be a way of worshipping others.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• good question
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 9:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Because they do what they are told?
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 9:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• To me, it is. But in their religion they can not go directly to God. That is why they pray to Mary, or Saints and confess to a priest. They are in the intercessors for them.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If god won't listen, maybe a saint or the Virgin might.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• They remind me of Hindus, they dont go straight to God for their prayers etc, they go thru icons, and saints...Doesnt make sense to me but whatever...
    Anonymous

• i guess i knew that they believed in saints per se---but i never knew they actually prayed to them--i just found that hard to comprehend--and i am not judging in any form here--just to me it is like worshipping a saint--i was always taught to pray to "god"
    Anonymous

• Catholics don't pray to saints rather than to God. They may ask saints for intercession- like me asking my mom to ask my dad something instead of calling my dad directly. I'm not Catholic so I can't deal with the theology behind it, but my mom's family is Catholic and this is what I have been told through them.

And Hindus don't really pray to icons either... Hinduism is not really monotheistic or polytheistic. They view all things as being Brahma (God) so although there are many gods in the Hindu pantheon they (and everything else) are perceived as being a part of the supreme being.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Don't they confess their sins to priests...so the priests can ask God for forgiveness? Isn't that why Jesus died? Isn't he our intercessor?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Catholic and Orthodox Christians believe that Christ has destroyed the power of death through His passion, death and Resurrection. Asking a saint to pray for a person, is just like asking a living (living on this earth, right now) person, it's just that this person (the saint) happens to be futher along in his/her journey, and has lived a life that brings them closer to God. Catholics call this the 'communion of the saints'. The basic idea is that as believers we are all in this together that we are 'surrounded by a cloud of witnesses' as St. Paul puts it. There are many instances in the Holy Scriptures where people intercede for others, situations where God mandates prayers by priests etc.
    We all have certain people in our lives that bring us closer to God. Because death no longer has the last say, even people who have 'fallen asleep in the Lord' can pray for us.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• In answer to: "Don't they confess their sins to priests...so the priests can ask God for forgiveness? Isn't that why Jesus died? Isn't he our intercessor?"

Catholic and Orthodox Christians believe that the forgiveness is already there because, as you say, Christ is the ultimate connection between His father and us. Christ gave the power to forgive sins to his disciples (when he talks to Peter in the Holy Gospel according to St. Matthew chapter 16), but that ultimate forgiveness stems from Christ, the priest just represents Him and the Church which He founded
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2009