Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What exactly is a duvet or a duvet cover?

This may seem really stupid, but I can't figure it out! In pictures, they make it look like a duvet is like a comforter or a blanket.
What is a duvet? What is a duvet cover?


Asked by RanaAurora at 10:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 7 (180 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Duvet is a French word. A duvet is usually a high quality, flat, down filled (usually duck) cover . A duvet cover is simply like a slip-cover to change the color or pattern since most duvets or down comforters come in white or shades of white/tan/cream. The difference between a duvet and a comforter is the filling/batting.

    Answer by PaceMyself at 10:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I think a duvet cover is a cover for your comforter - you put comforter inside it. I think??
    Anyone - am I right?

    Answer by bristle3kids at 10:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • It's like a big pillow case for a comforter. People normally use them with down comforters.

    Answer by toriandgrace at 10:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • that's weird

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • What they said. We have 3-4 duvet covers and king shams (usually they come in sets) so we can change out the look of our bedding by just changing the duvet cover but still using our same super fluffy comforter.
    The only down side to them is they are a PAIN IN THE ASSSSSSS to put on the comforter.. and they usually button closed on one side, which is also kinda a pain in the butt. The comforter will shift around in the duvet cover.. kinda annoying.. especially when you have a husband that kicks the blankets around at night, LOL.
    To me, they are a good investment because my comforter was expensive.. and the duvet covers are usually only $20-50 and they can change the whole look of the room without buying a whole new bedding set. They are nice to store, too.. because they fold up really small.

    Answer by LuminousMom at 10:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • The duvet cover is Daniels "arch nemesis" =D Another poster alreday answered the question. A duvet is a down comfortor, duvet cover is a big pillowcase for it.

    Answer by Nysa at 10:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I agree with the person who said duvet covers are a pain in the ass. I hate putting mine on. I washed it a few weeks ago and still haven't put it back on, actually!

    Answer by feministmama at 10:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • hahaha ;)

    Answer by Rebeccalynn_dj at 10:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Thank you ladies! Turns out, I need a duvet cover for my down comforter! :)

    Answer by RanaAurora at 1:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2009