what do you do to get a child to quiet biting?

My daughter is 2 years old and biting and I want to get it stopped before it gets out of control

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Biting is serious and can be a health risk. I know biting back sounds bad, but it really works for a lot of people. I was a terrible biter as a tot. I finally bit my mom, she bit me back . . . hard. And I never bit again. I had bitten a little girl at day care on the eye before that. Toddlers learn from action/ reaction or cause/ effect. If she thinks biting will result in her getting bit back, she will certainly not want to do it anymore.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 11:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• smack her in the mouth
    Anonymous

• I'm being serious when I say- maybe bite back, so she knows that biting hurts.
    Anonymous

• my daughter bit me once i told her no put her in time out. 45 mins later she bit me again so i bit back, she hasn't done it since.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• bite back so they know how it feels
    Anonymous

• PLEASE DO NOT BITE HER BACK! All that shows her is that if someone hurts you you hurt them back. Why is she biting? Alot of toddlers bite when they are frustrated because they don't have the ability to verbalize everything. Some just want to chew on something, try teethers, yes with a toddler they are soothing for them too. When she bites just tell her firmly "No biting it hurts"
    Anonymous

• I used concentrated lime juice for the negative consequence of biting, and as a method that got quick results. Thats not painful or toxic. A little funny too with the pucker faces.
    EscVelocity

Answer by EscVelocity at 11:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2009