Pain while breastfeeding

My daughter is almost 3 weeks old and exclusively breastfed. After she has been feeding for a while, it starts to get painful. It burns on the nipple and stings and there are shooting pains. I know her latch is good. We've already been treating for thrush even though the doctor didn't see any thrush in her mouth. It seems like it happens when my breast is drained. Also the right side seems to be worse. Any ideas?

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 10:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have experienced that as well, I suggest drinking a lot of fluids. Namely water, I always switched sides when it was empty and hurt.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I could have written your question-I feel the same way! So far I haven't found any solutions but it's nice to know I'm not alone.
    magpbright

Answer by magpbright at 10:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have experienced that, i massage my nipple and areola with vitaman E ointment. it usually does the trick.
    EscVelocity

Answer by EscVelocity at 10:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I quit breastfeeding my daughter at 3 weeks. My nipples were cracked ,bleeding and agonizing. I could swear she had teeth. I tried soothies, lanolin, ice packs,warm soaks, salt water soaks but nothing seemed to help.My mistake, I let her stay at the breast for too long, my breast were empty and she used me as the human pacifier. My son however is doing well 10 weeks in, I nurse him 10minutes on each side then he gets a pacifier if he still wants to suck. Most of the time he is asleep by the end. He doesn't start looking for food again for 3hrs. He is growing well, peeing and pooping just fine. I wish you well in your attempts and applaud your determination.
    Anonymous