Does your religion (within the Christian faith) require you to be baptized before you can take part in communion?

My sister's church does this and it drives me nuts. This is a huge reason why I don't claim any religion, but rather a faith. Religion has too many ifs, ands, and buts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i am a baptist, and no you don't have to be baptized to participate....baptism in my church is just declaring your faith & becoming a member....
    Anonymous

• Don't require it but I never partook in Communion until I was baptized. It felt "wrong" for some reason, but they would have let me. I shared with them why I never took Communion (never baptized) and they told me I knew they would if I wanted them to. Six months later I accepted :-)
    Anonymous

• CATHOLICS REQUIRE THIS FOR COMUNION AND MARRIAGE.

Answer by older at 7:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I don't think so . . . I was methodist and presbyterian, and in both those churches ANYONE can take communion. Now, Assembly of God and Baptist, I have never seen either of them take communion. I don't know about the Lutheran church I was at . . . I never took it there.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:57 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I'm Catholic and yes it's the first Sacrament needed before you receive Holy Communion, most Catholics (lifers) are bapitzed as infants and if you come into the church at a later time in life you'll receive a lot of the Sacraments at the same time (baptism, reconciliation, communion, confimation).
    roni2911

Answer by roni2911 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• When I was Lutheran (Missouri Synod) it was you had to be confirmed first before taking communion... but the children could go to the alter during communion and and be blessed by the pastor...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2009