are there any disadvantages to using a walker before my daughter starts walking herself?

my daughter is eight months and my mother in law just got a walker for her. i dont want her to have one until she starts walking herself so she isnt using the walker as a crutch for walking. my husband thinks im being too strict and i should just let her use it, and when he was little he broke his leg because his walker collapsed on him. so i want to know if i am being too paranoid or if im being ok in my concerns.

OneHotMomma88

Asked by OneHotMomma88 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Usually walker just make it to where your baby doesn't walk as soon, b/c of the way the seat is and how they don't bare weight on their legs. So if you use it is would be more of a restraint
    Anonymous

• anon is right...my daughter used a walker but as soon as she started pulling up and walking around holding onto stuff i took it away. if she isn't doing that now she probably will be soon so at this point i think it would just make her not want to walk on her own. (mine used hers from about 5 months til 7 months)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Walkers are not for children who CAN walk. After nine months walkers should be taken away because they are a hazard due to the child being able to climb out of them. Walkers are supposed to help babies learn how to walk.
    Anonymous

• I put my four month old in one once in a while supported with a blanket to help him sit up better, but once he can start pulling him self up I will take it away. Right now its just a way to get him off of his back or belly while im eating or something. Hes not too fond of his belly he will only tollerate it for ten minutes or so at a time.
    Anonymous

• Honestly I didn't think they still sold those things. If you have ANY stairs going down, they're a huge safety hazard. I had also heard they can delay walking, but I don't know where or when I heard that.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Walkers don't delay walking. My daughter used one from about 5 month til 8 months and she started walking at 8 months. It helps them learn to stay upright for walking. My friend also used one and her son started walking at 8 months too.
    Anonymous

• They don't delay walking my dd is 7 months and loooves that thing. just keep it downstairs or take her outside with it...she loves to be sitting up and see what's going on.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I had my son in a walker from 6 to 9 months and he was completely walking by himself with no help by 10 1/2 months. Just set the level of the walker a little low so that she doesnt rely on it it will just help her balance herself better.
    jessica91484

Answer by jessica91484 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2009