Why is my toddler such a freakazoid?

Yes, I did in fact just call my dear sweet daughter a freakazoid. And I feel it's completely accurate. She refused a pacifier from birth, and we never looked back. I always kept a few on hand just in case, but she was never interested and eventually they became toys that she gave to her baby dolls. I got pregnant, and she still had no interest. It wasn't until I had my second child and she saw him with a pacifier, and we weaned her from the bottle (which she was only getting at bedtime.) that she started taking one.
At the time I assumed it couldn't hurt. If she was just looking for something to suck on, I'd rather her go for her thumb, since there's no chance of that getting lost, but hey, I'll take a pacifier over a bottle any day!
Now, 6 months later, she's gone from taking it only at bed time, and nap time, to demanding it all day. Especially when we leave home.
Anyone got any ideas?

CuriousSarahM

Asked by CuriousSarahM at 11:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The baby has one so she wants one too, like how some children regress in potty training or become more clingy when a new baby comes into the family. I would just try to stick to only at bedtime and naptime.
    Anonymous

• On Nanny 911, they gave the pacis to the binky fairy to give to all the little babies who really needed them. Maybe talk about big girl behavior and baby behavior and encourage her to be a big girl. My 2 yo reverted from potty to diapers after my son was born. Now, she is back to panties and wanting to be a big girl. Sometimes they do these things after new babies come into the house.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 11:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I assumed it was because of the new baby in the house, and to be honest, if trying to use my breast pump, and deciding at almost 2 she wants to use a pacifier is the worst of it, I'll take it! But why does she want it away from home? And WHY will she take her special "Princess Fi-Fi" out of her mouth, and take her brother's "Boys only fi-fi" away from him to use it! I don't soak his in sugar or anything! Gosh! Freaking toddlers!
    CuriousSarahM

Answer by CuriousSarahM at 11:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It is my belief that Frank is using this pacifier as a "mute button" to keep from cursing you out because you're getting on her nerves. Just sayin'.
    Stormywaters03

Answer by Stormywaters03 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Oh toddlers. They are strange aren't they? Haha. She totally wants his b/c its his. Jealous. And using your breast pump? HAHAHAHAHAHA.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 10:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2009