Breastfeeding help

So, how do I know how much breastmilk my 8 mo old son should get in a bottle. I just went back to work and didn't have much saved because I didn't have a pump and just nursed on demand. Today it took me 20 minutes to pump 5 ounces. Lately he'll have 6 ounces but my dh says he's still crying like he's hungry. I know that the baby gets more out than the pump does so if i'm not pumping as much as he needs to eat i'm afraid i'm not going to pump enough and then have to supplement with formula...I don't want to do that because he has been breastfeed his whole life. Someone help me out here.

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to hydrate more. The more you drink the more you make.
    Anonymous

• continued...also...I've been drinking a ton of water and I will pump and nothing will come out after 10 mins but they still feel full. How do I know if they are really empty?
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• He is old enough that he can be supplemented with baby food and not formula. This way if you pump all you can, and nurse full time when you are home he should be fine. I am not sure what the requirements are for an 8 month old per bottle, but a daily requirement is mor ewhat you are looking for, and if he drinks expressed milk and eats baby or table food all day and then does nothing but nurse at night you should be good.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yes, this is the pumping/working moms predicament. I could NEVER make as much as she wanted to drink. Part of it is that babies will actually drink more -- yes, drink more -- from a bottle. So add that to what you said about the baby being more effective than the pump, and it can feel like a losing battle. Start pumping every night after your baby goes to bed (a couple to a few hours, if she gives you a longer stretch at the beginning of the night). This is what got me by. My husband did have to put a few ounces of formula in from time to time, but we made it work. Another possibility is that she can adjust her system so that she gets a little less during the day and then nurses more from you when you're home. Make sure you're feeding her completely on demand whenever you're around her. If you have to do formula for 24 hours just to get a day ahead, I've heard of some moms doing that, too. Check out the BF moms group on CM
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• What kind of pump are you using? That will some times make a difference in how much you get out. If you are using a hand pump, you might as well throw it away, they are okay for a quick pump, but not if you are trying to pump for all day food. And you have to pump the same way you were feeding. You will have to pump while at work. If you dont pump as often as what he was eating, your milk will decrease because your body will think that the baby isnt eating as much.
    Anonymous

• What kind of pump are you using? Maybe try a different one? Or if you are able to go home during your lunch or meet your husband and baby so you can nurse him. My husband did that for me when I had to work for a bit, but we were really close to home too, like a 3 minute drive. I would really try a different pump though if you stil feel full. Or maybe your let down reflex is hindered. Try taking a picture of your baby to look at or call home and hear him on the phone. And make sure you are comfortable and have plenty of privacy.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• how often are you pumping? i used to pump every 4 hours while at work to keep up my supply.
    Anonymous

• Do you have a double electric pump? If you pump and nothing comes out, it's likely your pump isn't effectively getting your milk to let down. It's normal for it to take 20 minutes, though. And 5 oz in a session is a TON! Most women get about 2 oz in a session. Take a picture of your LO with you, that can help stimulate let-down.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Also, I had to pump ever 2-3 hours to maximize the oz I pumped.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I feed him in the am before I leave for work and he does get some baby food to hold him over until I come home for lunch or until I get off work if the expressed isn't enough and he is still hungry...i'm just afraid the more I substitute solids the less I will make.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009