• In the Spotlight:

Im really trying to stick with breast feeding.... But

It just feels weird and Iam having a hard time. Almost like im too modest for it. I know its gonna seem selfish but I think I gonna either pump and bottle feed or quit. Has anyone felt like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, sweetie! ((hugs))

You're gonna get a deluge of people either telling you to quit or telling you you're being horrible for thinking about it. But I had a hard time (for other reasons) and I know what it's like to doubt yourself.

Breastfeeding really is best, and there are SO many benefits. Check out www.kellymom.com and search for "benefits of breast feeding". You'll find some inspiration there.

Second, it's hard to get over the thought of your breasts being sexual. Just look at how happy your little baby is when they're nursing... look at what happiness you can bring. Your breasts were made to feed your baby. That's what they're there for. It's tough for some women, but if you stick with it you won't feel this way forever. Join La Leche League for support.

Lastly, pumping will almost surely not keep up a good enough supply. You'd need a hospital grade pump ($$).

Good luck, I hope it works out!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It does take some getting used to. I would give it some more time.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i did... wel b/c of my everyday life routines. Especially around ppl who discourage it and do not have babies and do not understand. I would say dont give up it will get better and easier. Put yourself around ppl who make you feel comfortable and just avoid the others for a while until you establish a good routine. Also when you are out and about you can go in a vehicle or in a changing room to feed.. something like that if it helps. I hope that it gets easier and you keep bf'ing! Dont give up. You will get over being shy after doing it a couple more months or so.
    Anonymous

• Oh and also have you bought a nursing wrap or a general wrap? They cover you very well. You could also wear a nursing tank under your blouse. Join the breastfeeding Mom's group for alot of advice on this. Those moms are awesome!!!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Honestly, no. I guess I'm not very modest, though. That doesn't mean you're alone in feeling that way, though. Pumping and bottle feeding is the next best option for your baby, but it is a lot of work. If you're having a hard time, there is help out there. If you do want to make it work, see if you can find a La Leche League support group where you live. You can be around other nursing moms or just get information on whatever is difficult for you from their lactation consultants. Try to keep it up, mom. If it's still early in the game, you may find it comes more natural for you the longer you do it, and as you bond with your baby more and more. Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yeah...try to keep it up! It's free! Plus, there are a million reasons why you should breastfeed. Most important is, it's best for your baby...but it also helps reduce your risk of cancer as well as lose the baby weight. You don't have to feed in public...and if you do just get a cover. I have a cover and I'll go feed in my car when we're out so I can have privacy and not have to deal with ugly stares! But let someone come up to me and tell me something about doing it in public...I dare them! I wouldn't have a problem covering up and feeding anywhere out in public...but it makes my husband more uncomfortable than me. Pumping and bottle feeding is a lot harder and it takes more time and energy...trust me. I've been breastfeeding almost 8 mos and just went back to work so I have to pump now.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I'll also add...that in the beginning...I felt the same way and anytime we'd go out I'd take breast milk or formula in a bottle just so that I wouldn't have to stop and find a place to feed him in public...then I said "You know what...I am able to produce milk for my son and he deserves the best and i'm not going to let what others think be the reason my son gets formula" I started to feel guilty for giving him formula...like I wasn't a good mom and since that day he's never had any again!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I breast fed the first year stick to it trust me its better that way. There skin is clearer and they dont get sick as often. If you are going to stop just dont forget to pump every chance you get because I said I would just pimp then 8 or 9 months into it and I stopped producing enough to give him all the time so I had to do both. Then you can tell the difference. I would still breast feed if he would let me but theres nothing there
    MrsJrBut

Answer by MrsJrBut at 2:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Im not a super modest person so that aspect of breastfeeding has never bothered me so much, I mean, I dont dress provacativly and I dont like to have my breasts all hanging out and visible during public feedings, but I still breastfeed and yes, I do it in public ALL the time!
    Good nursing tops and a good nursing cover work wonders for folks like you who have modesty issues.
    Also, when you say it feels weird, what exactly do you mean? Weird to have a baby suckling at your breast or that it hurts or what?
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:06 AM on Apr. 9, 2009