Ways that small children can serve the community?

My kids are young (almost 3, 5, and 6) and I've been trying to think of different ways they can help serve our area. I have plenty of ideas for when they're a bit older...but it's harder with them being smaller. What are some simple ways they can help make this world a better place?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Trash pick ups, drawing pictures or making cards for people in nursing homes, taking stuffed animals and books to children's hospitals . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Simple stuff like picking up trash at the play ground. Teaching them about recycling.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• You can also take them to visit nursing homes, as long as they aren't sick. You'll have to arrange for that if it's not a relative.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Teach them to turn the water off; turn the lights out; pick up garbage, recycle. They can help you clean out clothes they don't wear and donate them.
    HelloKitty1225

Answer by HelloKitty1225 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• teach them to clean up trash they see at the park (or to point it out to you you may not want them to just grab stuff depending on what it is), plant a plant/tree, when you go to the store and someone is collecting money for a charity give them some change to have them put it in the bucket myself. around xmas time when they do toys for tots have your child pick a toy that will be donated (my daughter has done this since she was 10 months old, granted she didn't realize what it was then but she's been doing it). have them go through toys and pick the ones they don't play with anymore an donate them to a shelter..
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• idk for the younger ones but my lil grl n i volunteer at a homeless shelter on thanksgiving she is 8 yrs old and she also learned bout recycling and does that as often as possible. also collects clothes from neighbors n friend that they no longer use and we take them to shelters for battered women and foster homes my 5 yr old helps w this . they might b able to do that or mayb even food drives or toy drives they r kinda small so its hard. i think its great to get kids to help out like that good luck.
    SXYmami7

Answer by SXYmami7 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• They can start a canned food drive for the local relief places. Also, a toy drive for a homeless shelter or battered women's shelter.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• also as they out grow clothes, shoes, jackets, etc they can donate them to foster kids. Stuffed animals to hwy patrol for accident victims, Toys for Tots - have them pick out a toy for someone their age. draw pictures for military ppl overseas, or a senior center.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 6:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• have them go through their toys and pick out some to give to charity and go down to a youth center or abused women and children's center and give them to the kids;)
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 2:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2009