Doctors will prescribe nausea medication for pregnant women

Is that healthy for the baby? and what stops that medication from harming the baby in the future. When I was pregnant 14 years ago they never game you anything you just suffer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm not sure but my dr. said it was perfectly fine to take. I took it my whole pregnancy and my daughter is fine.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I had hyperemesis gravidarum both my pregnancies - first pregnancy my doc wouldn't give me anything, not even fenegren (SP?) I was terribly nauseaous the entire pregnancy, even vomiting after she was born. I got PG with baby #2 before #1 was one year old, so being a stay at home mom I could not afford to be in bed all day with a 1yr old running around. Not safe. So I changed doctors (the prev doc said it was all in my head), my second doc prescribed Zofran - I took 8 mg once/day in the 2nd trimester, but by the third trimester I could cut them in half, and the final month I could cut them into quarters. My 2nd baby was just as healthy as my first baby. Zofran is usually used as an antinausea medicine for chemo patients, but it's approved for pregnancy use, so ask your doctor. You might not need the full 8mg, or even 4 mg - splitting the pills worked well for me all day.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i used it with my last baby and need to get more for this pregnancy. i don't think the dr would give anything to the baby that would be a liability for him to get sued. so it has to be safe. i don't think something like that was around back in your day. so you were left to suffer now they have more things to deal with pregnancy then before. it seems harmless.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• my dr gave me promethazine
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I personally wouldn't take Phenergan during pregnancy. They won't give it to children any more b/c it was causing breathing/lung issues. My doctor prescribed Zofran (the stuff they give to chemo patients), I haven't taken it I use it strictly as an emergency I can't get out of the bathroom thing. Here's a good site that goes over all the different drugs:
    http://www.fetal-exposure.org/NAUSEA.html

Personally, I would stick it out if you are gaining weight appropriately and are able to keep at least some things down. If it persists after 12 weeks, and you aren't gaining appropriately then you def need to do something.
    There is a new prenatal vitamin supplement called Premesis that is a blend of B vitamins, it really helps. Very safe, but it only knocks the edge off for me. However I feel it's enough to allow me to continue with my day and not have to take stronger drugs.

AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 11:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2009