Do I need to call the doctor if my 7 mo. old hit is head?

My almost 7 month old is learning to pull himself up and stand, but sometimes he will fall and wack his head on something (this particular time, the bed frame). It isn't like we aren't right next to him, but things happen. He has a goose egg over his eye. Should I be worried, or is it just part of learning to walk and a little boy being a boy. He is acting just fine and he only cried for a minute. thanks!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Health

• if he is acting fine then i would not worry about it! check his eyes do they follow you when you walk by etc.. if he does then i would not even worry about it! if he is acting like it hurts him put some ice or a cold rag on it! and hell be ok

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• hes fine. CALL Doc only for lotta blood and looks like it may need stich.
    Anonymous

• I would put and ice pack on it give him some tylenol b4 bed and in the morning call the pediatrician and let them know.
    (thats just to CYA) if youre out and someone sees it (the egg) and decides to call CPS and you never told the babies Dr you might find yourself in a pickle)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I disagree with the last response. If you call your doctor out of fear of CPS every time your kid gets a cut, bruise, or lump, your doctor is going to change their number and not tell you, LOL. That's ridiculous!

OP, I don't know a single person whose walking toddler isn't covered in bruises. Mine got a black eye from the futon frame, and actually never got "2 year" pictures because I was waiting until he didn't have a bruise or cut on his face. And trust me, we're not THAT rough-and-tumble.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 1:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Cont. If he didn't pass out (even for a second), cry for over 10 minutes or so, lose coordination/get dizzy, have a seizure, start acting really odd, throw up, act lethargic or tired, or bleed profusely, there's absolutely no reason to call the doctor. You could give him an ice pack or a little acetaminophen (Tylenol) if it hurts, but unless he's exhibiting the symptoms above, don't worry about it.

RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 1:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Anytime a child hits their head, they should be checked out. I would keep a close eye on his behavior and if there is anything out of the usual, take him to the ER right away. There could be a head injury without any bleeding or bumps. Check him through the night to make sure he is ok. If there is any changes call the doc or take to the ER.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2009