What can i do for a constipated 6month old?

She had some banans with her cereal on sunday. Since she has struggled to pass anything and nothing comes out. SHe gets red in the face and grunts and finally today a small poop that was very firm came out but nothing else. What can i give her to help her not be constipated

KeagansMom08

Asked by KeagansMom08 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pears are good for poopin', LOL! If your baby drinks juice give her a couple ounces of straight pear juice...otherwise just give her the baby food pears...fresh pears will probably work the best though if you can puree it yourself.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I want to add that while apple juice usually did the trick for my kids, the high amount of acid caused terrible diaper rashes on them all.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have been giving my DD gerber organic prunes and it works wonders...the juice didn't work for me..the other thing that worked is NO cereal or rice or oatmeal. It's very binding and not necessary nutrition. Just try stopping it for a few days and give prunes and I betcha it helps. Good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• prunes, pears, peaches, and sweet potatoes will all help. And no baby cereal. That stuff constipates them.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:52 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• 2 table spoons of mollassas in 4 oz of warm water. let her drink it. it is also a good source of iron and b-vitamins.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:05 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• to get her started you can put a little valseline on a q-tip and gently massage the rectum. it may be that she is clogged and needs a little help, the pedi also told me to use gylserin supp. i hope this helps to poor little one she must be hurting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2009