suddenly picky daughter

My dd is almost 8. She has never been picky about clothing. She wears whatever I buy and I would pick out her clothes up until this year. I am glad that she has finally taken over picking out her own clothes but she has gotten very picky about clothes to buy and clothes she already has. It has to fit just right, not be uncomfortable ANYWHERE. She doesn't like shirts that have that "bunchy" part in the top (breast) part. Fine whatever. So my deal is we go shopping and she tried on a dress....and loved it. It is a nice summer/spring dress. Little bunchy at the top. But she loved it, didn't complain, begged me to buy it. I liked the dress too, but it was a little more than I usually spend. We get the dress home & I wash it. WELL!!!! Now she REFUSES to wear the dress. Says it is uncomfortable and bunchy at the top. I'm pissed off. DH says drop it, I want advice to make sure it doesn't happen again!

pbjmoore

Asked by pbjmoore at 11:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Um, I don't think I really have any advice. Tristen is my picky one but he has to wear what we get for him and especially if he picks it out. Money is hard to come by and I try to show him examples of what he could have had if he didn't pick that out. Socks are a big things around here. omg, he has to wear a certain kind, if they are not clean, he has to wear what is. He will cry for a bit, but he gets over it and then I never hear about it the rest of the day....mind you, this is the kid who will tie and re-tie his shoes over and over until they fit just right. (he probably gets that from me...lol)
    GidgetBalthazor

Answer by GidgetBalthazor at 12:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• so do I just force her to wear it?
    pbjmoore

Answer by pbjmoore at 12:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• YES MAKE HER WEAR IT!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't make her wear it, but I wouldn't buy her anymore clothes for a while explaining to her that "You know what? You didn't wear the last thing I bought for you. I only buy clothes that are going to be worn." I would also tell her that if she wants money to buy more clothes with she can "feel free to do some extra chores around the house. I'll pay $X (whatever amount you think is fair) per chore."
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Absolutely make her wear it....if you don't make her wear it, can you imagine what your clothing fights will be like a little bit down the road? If you can't....just ask me! My daughter is 15 and picky about clothing would be a gigantic understatement for her. She has picked clothing that she says that she likes and then changes her mind later.....I make her wear it anyway because it costed good money. There is nothing wrong with the clothing.
    Anonymous