Help!! What can I give my 27 month old son who has a bad cough?

He had a 101 degree temp. the day befor yesterday but since then hes been fine except the coughing is getting worse. His doctor wont prescribe him any thing cause she said that babys his age are too young to take cold meds. My husband even went to the drug store and they had pulled all the cold medicine off the shelves for babys. I feel bad just sitting there watching him cough and cough. Hes sleeping in bed with me tonight while husband is sleeping on couch so that I can keep an eye on him but is there really nothing I can do for him? I filled up his sippy right befor bed so that he can drink that when his throat starts itching. I dont know if its helping cause it doesnt sound like it. Any advice?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• vicks for babies on his chest...open your windows if it is cold outside (the cool air helps clear his lungs)...has he had suckers before? there is a sucker that is like a kids cough drop just has some vitamin c he should be old enough for that if hes had a sucker before. run a humidifier, prop a pillow under his head so its raised may make it easier on him to breath at night.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• run a hot shower and sit in the bathroom with him.....good luck
    pbjmoore

Answer by pbjmoore at 12:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Ok thanks so much ladies. I have to get off now and go attend to him. Im running back and fourth checking on him but I needed to know what others have done when there babys had a cough. Thanks again!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Ive heard that a tsp of honey is better than any cough syrup out there...good luck...poor baby!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:06 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Put a little honey in a cup and add about a teaspoon of lemon juice. Try giving him about a half teaspoon or less. I hope the little one feels better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 8:09 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• my 16mth just had the same crap and it turned into an ear infection so watch out we put vicks on his chest and his back also one of the nurse's that I work with told me to put it on the bottem of his feet I did and it does seem to work
    aidensmom570

Answer by aidensmom570 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Give him a honey sandwich.. Just honey and bread..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• They teaspoon of honey with a tad bit of lemon juice is my new best friend!! It really does work!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Ask your Ped about giving him Benedryl because there is nothing really that you baby can have as far as cough med right now. My Ped always tells me to give him Benedryl for running nose, coughing, sore throat etc. It helps. I would ask the Ped for doses first. Motrin is good for high temps and can be given with the Benedryl. Hope this helps.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 3:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009