can i dye my hair.. i am 7 months pregnant

is it harmful to the baby? if so any conditions?

LizCruz

Asked by LizCruz at 12:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Health

• you can dye your hair with box dye at home but they say you shouldn't go to a salon beacuse of the fumes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• yeah you ca i did ;-) nothing happend to the baby
    proud_mum_mum

Answer by proud_mum_mum at 12:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I ended up dying mine too! It was the only thing I did when I was pregnant that I wasnt supposed too, and I had no problems.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:34 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• its fine to go to a salon. I did foils so at least it isnt right on your scalp. I just did it a couple times just to be on the safer side.I dont even smell anything when they are doing it. Salon products are nice these days. I think the scare is a little outdated. What do you think hairdressers do when they get preg- quit working? Congrats BTW :)
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 12:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yep, after the first trimester and in a well-ventilated area, it's fine.

Dyes back in the day used to have different chemicals in them, that were more dangerous than what is available today, which is why there is the concern about them.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:03 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Just don't work it into your scalp or use it if your scalp is cut, and have good ventilation and you're fine. :)
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 1:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am a licensed cosmetologist, and yes u can. it doesnt seep into the bloodstream enough to do anything. the only things that actually touch the scalp are all over colors and perms! foils only touch the hair. the fumes never bothered me or any of my clients, but everyone is different there. you can test it by getting a h/c first while a friends get a color done, that way you can leave if you get sick and not have to worry about color being on your head! another thing to be aware of, is with all the hormones hair can do funny things sometimes, so u might want to try a test strand b4 u try anything new! Im normally not one to say anything about at home box jobs, but just a warning, it is hard for salons to fix anything if it does happen to go wrong cuz of the hormones, and usually ends up costing a lot more money to repair, and takes a lot of time, and is hard on the hair as well! Good luck!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• the only time its dangerous is during first trimester-and then ONLT if you are using something to lighten hair.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2009