Do you believe obese people and alcoholics should blame themselves or is it a disease?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Health

• I believe these are self inflected conditions. I don't buy, that, because your bio family is either that you are destined to become an alcoholic or obese. However, I do believe that your mental state has a big hand in how susceptible you are to either condition.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 12:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i think its genetics in some forms i mean if you see a whole family of overweight people its obviously genetic but sometimes its just overeating. alcoholism is genetic also my grandpa was an alcoholic so was my dad and my mom was an alcoholic too i like drinkin the hard liquor but i stay away knowing it could lead to alcoholism
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• There are real, common diseases and medications out there that cause obesity. Thyroid disease and certain anti-depressants are some examples. I was on a medicine, I will not name it here, that caused me to gain 30 lbs in 4 months no kidding. Since I went off of it, I have lost 20 of those pounds in 2.5 years. Yeah, it can be caused by a person being a lazy pig, but don't just assume because someone is overweight it is their fault. Alcoholism on the other hand, that's a personal choice. My husband's family is full of alcoholics, therefore he does not keep alcohol in the house other than our wine collection which we occasionally drink a glass with dinner, and the occasional beer with friends. He has NEVER had an alcohol problem, but this is because he already considers himself at high risk for alcoholism and he controls it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I don't believe that alcoholism is hereditary - that's a crock to blame it on somone else. People need to be responsible for their own actions. My father is an alcoholic and even though I partied in my early 20's, I grew up and now drink responsibly - perhaps a drink a couple times a year - certainly not enough to get drunk.
    As far as obesity, yes it can partly be due to genetics and certain health disorders, but it is also a person's responsibility to recognize there is a problem and to seek help to stop. I know that mental disorders are a huge culprit to obesity, as well as malnurishment - it goes both ways.
    All in all, everyone has a choice and can either consciously make changes and seek help, or ignore the problem and drink or eat themselves into an early grave.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2009