Can I smoke cigarettes while breastfeeding?

I live with my mother, step dad, and father of my child and they all smoke. Plus my father, sister, and brother in law, come and visit often and they all smoke. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant, and have so far done well with not picking up the habit. But now, six weeks after delivery, Im starting to feel like my old self again. And Im starting to get cravings for a smoke-especially after certain triggers like drinking coffee and eating. The worst cravings come whenever I see someone else enjoying a cigarette. I am supplement feeding-doing both breast feeding and formula, but Im worried that if I crack and have a smoke it will harm my baby when she nurses. I know I shouldnt-thats a given, but if I slip what do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes you can but it thins out your milk so your baby will eat more
    willismommy

Answer by willismommy at 1:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• well, i would pump & dump, but a lot of people wouldn't. i just don't think i'd risk it
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I READ THAT IT PUT NICOTINE IN YOUR BREASTMILK.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 1:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Smoking around and breastfeeding a baby is never a good thing
    MrsJrBut

Answer by MrsJrBut at 1:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Even if you are a smoker, the benefits of your breastmilk outweigh those of formula.
    Please check out this link: http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html

From that site (a reputable site with up to date information, with references shown):

"First of all, a mom who can't stop smoking should breastfeed. Breastfeeding provides many immunities that help your baby fight illness and can even help counteract some of the effects of cigarette smoke on your baby: for example, breastfeeding has been shown to decrease the negative effects of cigarette smoke on a baby's lungs. It's definitely better if breastfeeding moms not smoke, but if you can't stop or cut down, then it is better to smoke and breastfeed than to smoke and formula feed. "

That site has tons more information, and links to research and other articles on the topic, so please give it a look.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• It won't do any more harm than breathing in the second hand smoke all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I agree with the PP...with all of those smokers in the house, on their clothing, the walls, carpet and anything with fabric--the damage is already done. Just because YOU don't smoke, doesn't mean your child is immune to it. Poor baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• WOW, that is A LOT of 2nd and 3rd hand smoke your small precious baby is exposed too with all the family members that smoke around her...even if they dont smoke directly around her, it gets on their clothes, hair, nails ect and if they come near the baby or hold the baby, then she is exposed to it, if the baby goes into a house that is smoked in, again, she is exposed to it....I REALLY wished that the health of a little baby would be enough to make mothers and other family members stop smoking, but sadly it isnt :(
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• You can nurse and smoke, but it would be better if you didn't especially with all the other smoke that child is being exposed to. If you feel you absolutely must have that smoke though please do not stop nursing the child because LO needs the extra immunity and stuff from the breast mik with all the other smoke LO is being eposed to.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2009