My baby has day and night mixed up. How can I switch it?

She is only 6 weeks old so she isnt sleeping all the way through the night, but she is up until 3 or 4 in the morning..and sometimes 5! Then she sleeps until noon or later-waking for a feeding at 7 or 8 and going back to sleep. She naps randomly through out the day. And to make matters worse-she is MOST alert late at night-like right now and I want to play with her but I dont want to keep her up. Im not sleep deprived-Im not going back to work so I sleep until noon with her. But I would really like to fix this.

oldsoulmom

Asked by oldsoulmom at 1:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I learned to sleep when he sleeps. Other people mite say ignore em they will go back to sleep. I never agreed with that . It gets better though my son just started sleeping through the night. He is a year old hopes up you will miss these days
    MrsJrBut

Answer by MrsJrBut at 1:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My youngest son had his days and nights mixed up.
    You have to fool them into sleeping.
    During the day we kept the house really dark- he thought it was night time and would stay awake. During the night, we kept a light on in the room- he thought it was day time and would sleep.
    Sounds strange but after a few days, his sleep pattern was normal.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• if your not working or have to be up in the moring let it go. shes so young right now it will straighten out soon enough. my daughter just started sleeping the same time i did after a few months. shes four month now, i work secound shift so she sleeps all day with me then plays at the sitters and takes a nap for my mom during the evening i wake her up when i gets home to feed her then play a little. same stuff same time everyday she will catch on sooner or later.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 2:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I agree she is really young and it will probably work itself out BUT you can always bother with a day of fussing and keep her awake during the day when she wants to sleep (of course let her have naps) and she will be so tired at night ... ya know? or if you are brave enough try letting her cry it out and soothe herself back to sleep at night (I could never do it personally but it works for some) and then give her the extra attention during the day .... idk, hope you find what works for you both, GOOD LUCK!
    kristalee83

Answer by kristalee83 at 3:30 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I honestly believe that babies don't necessarily go "oh, it's daytime, I need to sleep" when they have days and nights "mixed up." I think they have a set sleeping pattern that occurs during gestation or is perhaps set due to the hospital schedule. It then just continues as a vicious cycle. During gestation, it is very common for babies to be most active at night because you're still and sleep during the day because you're movement is rocking them to sleep. I believe this is a habit a lot of babies are born with.

What we did with my son? We picked a bedtime and made an effort to turn lights out and distractions away every night at that time. He didn't have to sleep but I would not turn the lights on or play with him. I'd make sure he was extra warm and cozy. During the day, he could sleep but I wouldn't make it dark or conducive to sleeping (unless it was during "nap time.')
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• (cont.) gradually, he got closer and closer to falling asleep at his bedtime until he finally got the hang of going to sleep at his bed time and staying asleep at night. He actually slept through the night (from 10pm to 8am) from 6-12 weeks (he started teething at 12 weeks so now his sleep isn't as sound or prolonged. Poor guy).

I also tried to establish a night time routine so that he could understand that the expectation of going to bed and sleep were approaching. That included a bath some nights, lotion (not all babies need lotion, mine does), a feeding, comfy pajamas and snuggling in bed with mommy until he falls asleep.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• 6 weeks is too early to CIO. According to What to Expect the First Year (among others) a baby that young is still learning ways to ask for help. Ignoring cries of a small infant isn't teaching them to self-soothe. I'm all for CIO if your child's personality and habits call for it but a little, tiny baby really is just figuring out how to communicate and get help.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2009