I am a freak, also breaking a bad habit.

So I am sitting here on the computer, husband is gone in the field, my house is a wreck because whoo hoo, I dont have to clean it, and I have chewed my fingernails to the nubs, ish! This is a horrible habit that I have had almost my entire life. I wore acrylic nails for years and never had a problem, but six months ago, I became a house wife and it seemed silly to do my nails when they were just going to get jacked up cleaning. Now I am back to my old ways, and my poor hands hurt and I just cant stop! I am such a freak! Any help would be appreciated. I have to go to bootcamp/OSC this summer, and I cant have my hands shoved in my mouth 24/7, please help!

2-1CavWife

Asked by 2-1CavWife at 2:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Health

• Stick em out here and I'll slap them for you.... Really, the worst taste in the world is fingernail polish remover.... dip them nubs and a couple tastes of yuck and you'll start being more conscience of your fingers. Oh yeah, you can also try finger cots... you freak. LOL j/k
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:21 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yeah id suggest fingernail polish remover. I used to bite my nails but I always have my toenails done and the remover gets on my nails so when I bite it, ugh worst taste ever!!! Just try putting some really gross taste on your nails and everytime you go to bite em youll be like YUCK
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 2:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I dont know what made me stop biting my nails. It happened when I was pregnant..I think I had the idea that it would be unhealthy for my growing baby. Nail polish really is the grossest thing ever. Try anything that tastes bad-and change it up. If you get too used to one taste you will overcome it.
    oldsoulmom

Answer by oldsoulmom at 2:30 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Think about all the germs your putting in your mouth. Think about that unless you totally scrub your hands and nails with a scrubbrush everytime you go potty or change a diaper etc you are getting urine and feces in your mouth...........ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Good Luck!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• There is a liquid they sell that you apply like nail polish. It tastes very nasty and helped my sister stop biting her nails. Also, something to think about - there are worm eggs under your nails. NO JOKE. You can get worms from biting them!! It's not common but it's gross to think about lol. Try putting fake nails back on, just get the shorter ones. It's still easy to clean and stuff with them on, and you're less likely the chomp on plastic! =)
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 8:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I bit mine till I was an adult. Then I took nite classes in cosmetology and they showed a picture of the germs under the nail and around the nail bed. I never put my fingers in my mouth again! Really! I was so shocked at the nastiness that it grossed me out and I never have bit my nails again. :) Just keep thinking: "gross" "gross" "gross" LOL
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Thank you ladies, I will try all of them! ewww worms, ick! lol
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2009