how do i know if my baby is getting enough milk

when i put my baby to my breast he will suck for a little bit and then let go and then he will put his mouth over my nipple but not clamp down and sometimes when he is sucking he will kick his feet and start fussing and let go and now im starting to hear his stomach growl

juarez_mom

Asked by juarez_mom at 2:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when i breastfed my son he would do the same thing you have to push him to eat it might seem like forever of a feeding but if you can get him to latch on and suck for at least 10 mins on each breast he should be getting enough food in his lil belly cool trick i did this with my son get him down to just a diaper and rub his back while feeding it soothes him and also keeps him awake lol
    haydns_mommy

Answer by haydns_mommy at 2:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• There are really only two ways to tell.

1) if he has enough wet and dirty diapers (usually at least 6 pee diapers per day and at least one poo diaper every other day).

2) You can take him to the doctor and have him weighed before a feeding, feed him and then weigh him after. The difference in weight will tell you (and the doctor) how much milk he drank and the doctor can advise you if that is a good amount.

My son only spends about 5 minutes at the breast every few hours which worried me at first because friends would tell me "my baby took FOREVER to eat!" However, my little booger is just a fast eater. He's gaining weight appropriately and has no problem knocking out a load of diapers in a day.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:08 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• It might be possible that your son is starting the teething process (as early as 3 months old!). Check for signs of teething (although teeth might not pop though for several months). Sometimes the sucking motion is painful and can cause babies to be fussy at the breast.
    NovemberLove

• How old is your baby? Go to "How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?" at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• The stomach growl thing could be his intestines digesting what he just ate. It is not nessacarily a sign of being hungry. What the other women have said is great advice.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009