How do stop a 3 year old from saying "Jesus Chrsit" all the time?

Suddenly my 3 year old will not stop saying "Jebus Cries". And it's not only when he's frusturated, he'll say it when he's having fun! Like at the park the other day I heard him yell Jesus Christ at the top of his lungs while swinging.

He understands not to stick your middle finger up, not to use the words "pee" "poo" and "crap" in conversations, and he knows not to show off his private parts, but he does not seem to understand why he can't say Jesus Christ. I don't want him to think its a curse word, but at the same time the way he's using it is inappropriate.

anna_ny

Asked by anna_ny at 3:03 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is hearing it somewhere. Perhaps thats where you need to start? Kids will mimick what they see/here. Just continue to correct him every single time. Mabey a time out?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 3:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Have him replace it with something similar but silly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Well who says it around him? He didn't just make it up. Whoever is saying it needs to stop before you can expect him to stop. Explain to him that "Jesus Christ was a very important man and it's not okay to say his name when your mad. Instead of saying his name when your mad, try saying ____."
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:57 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• stop saying it around him. He's getting it from somewhere. My son said it we told him he must of heard it wrong it's cheese and rice!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• If you didn't want him to say inappropriate words you should have watched your mouth or whoever he was around saying those things. It's your fault.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Wow anon, very helpful! Yup you sure know what this site is all about! Lets not be productive and helpful instead let's bash and blame! Way too go! Wish we had more moms like you around! IGNORANT!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:21 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• He heard it from somewhere. May not be from you but somewhere else. Just keep talking to him about what is ok and what isn't ok to say. You can also ignore him when he says it and he may stop from lack of attention. Worked wonderfully when I taught preschool, we had lots of lovely things kids said just from hearing it one time.

Ignore the people that are just being rude. There seems to be a lot of rudeness and bashing going on lately.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Just tell him it's not a polite thing to say. Don't make a big deal out of it, but consistently remind him not to use it. Help him think of other expressions to use instead.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Ignore it and he'll drop it eventually. Warn other people not to react either.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 12:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• From my personal perspective, I tell mine we don't say it b/c it's not respectful to God. They seemed to understand this. If you're not religious, just tell him that it's not nice, say "__insert substitution here__" instead. We use "Oh, pickles", "booger guts" and "weeful weeful banana pocket (my five year old made that one up, LOL)" The funnier and sillier the better.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2009