Unfounded Anxiety or Premonition?

This is my first pregnancy and it was unplanned. I am 28 years old and have been told by various doctors for years that I would have trouble conceiving when I started trying. Lo and behold, 3 months into new birth control and I got "knocked up". I decided to keep it, but now I am up all night with anxiety that it's not even alive inside me, and freaking out that I may not be able to see a heartbeat right away(I am anywhere from 6-8 weeks, will be able to tell by Monday). I have been trying to proceed as normal, even buying a few gender neutral things and some maternity clothes because of rapid weight gain. Last week my hormone levels were tested and found to be good.

I bought What To Expect hoping to alleviate my fears, instead I found more reasons to worry. I have my ultrasound Monday but I feel like I can't wait that long, I need to know NOW if everything is okay. Has anyone else felt this way?

abstractmommy

Asked by abstractmommy at 3:29 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had the same exact fears when I first found out I was pregnant. I also have a tendency to be a very nervous and anxious pregnant, to the extent that my doctor put me on maternity leave (disability). I was also surprised when I found out I was pregnant. Maybe there is a connection to that. I was very stressed and am still going through another stressful situation. (My fiance and I just broke up.) All I can say that somone said to me that helped was: Women have been having babies for ions, in caves at one time.

What happens is natural. Just TRY to enjoy it. I am six months pregnant and just now at a place where I am excited.
    lilstaciegirl

Answer by lilstaciegirl at 3:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Try getting a copy of Your Pregancy, Week by Week. Its much more realistic. I've never been a fan of the What to Expect series because they're just so depressing. You sound normal for the stage you're at. Keep in mind that seeing the heartbeat (6+ weeks) means the risk of miscarriage is 5% or less. The farther along you get, the more the risk decreases. Enjoy your pregnancy! It's hard being so newly pregnant, but at the same time, this is something that should be treasured.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am sorry to hear about you and your fiance. My fiance and I broke up in October of last year and this baby was conceived with my high school boyfriend after we randomly got back together in November. I was with my fiance for 7 years.
    abstractmommy

Answer by abstractmommy at 3:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Go to babycenter.com and they will send you weekly updates by how many weeks you are. lots of good info. I think if your levels were good, you are fine. I had a few moments like that, where i was sure something was wrong, but they pass and things are fine and I am due in a month. You have to find ways to distract yourself fromt he things that COULD happen....or you will go nuts. Its about healthy thinking and you sometimes have to force it...but you do it, cuz you are already a mom and thats what we do.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yeah I'm pregnant and I also worry a lot. I think it has to do with my recent miscarriage though. Try not to read things that talk about what could happen and relax. If you stress to much you can make yourself sick.
    Anonymous