When did you take the bumper out from your child's crib?

My son is 9 months old but my dad is very paranoid about taking out the bumper in his crib because he thinks Damien will get his legs or arms caught and twist the wrong way and break something. The doctor never gave me an answer on when to take them out and i know every child is different, but when did you take them out?

ArmyWife1769

Asked by ArmyWife1769 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i'd rather have my son have a broken arm then be dead.
    blo0dchild

Answer by blo0dchild at 2:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I took my daughters out probably somewhere in between 6-7 months. I was worried about limbs going through the bars, but we havent had any problems with that. I took it out because she started playing with it, pulling it down and such, so I was afraid she was going to go under it too!
    MeaganT

Answer by MeaganT at 2:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Me too blo0dchild. Never used them. By the time he could roll over, a light bump on the rail wasn't going to hurt him. Hell, it didn't even wake him up. I'd rather risk a litle head bump than asphyxiation!
    Pandana

Answer by Pandana at 2:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• We NEVER used them, but if we did as soon as they are rolling around they would have come off. Some safety seminars and doctors will tell you NEVER to use bumpers because they raise the risk of a baby suffocating just like blankets, stuff animals, and pillows etc.

Chapter 5 of the Medical Associates guide said to NEVER use bumper pads, see link: http://www.mahealthcare.com/pedsbook.htm

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 2:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• 6 months old
    den5576

Answer by den5576 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• they say to take it out when they an pull up and stand. They can stand on it to get out of crib We have a breathable bumper so it can stay in as long as we want
    lynn63042

Answer by lynn63042 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I took mine out when my DS learned how to roll over. I was scared to death that he would suffocate. I didn't even bother to put it up for my DD.
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 4:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• now i just had a baby 3 wks ago, and they said not to use the bumpers at all, even when he gets older. for all the reasons your dad is paranoid. gl
    tenpin_ter

Answer by tenpin_ter at 9:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• perfect example i took my daughters bumper out of her crib when she was 1 yr old...BIG MISTAKE....i heard screaming coming from her room one day her leg was twisted up and bent in some shape that im surprised her leg wasnt broken. scared the crap out of me i felt like the worst mother in the world.listen to your dads advice dont be stupid like i was it can happen! think of it this way...take it out and take a chance and blame yourself and feel like crap or leave it in for caution!
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• now take in mind these moms havent had the experience.i thought the same way yall did take it out way keep tying it...but to hear screams like that coming from my daughter and holdin her for hours calming her down because she nearly almost bropke her leg...no thats ok its in my sons crib and thats where it stays..that was to scary for me...if u keep the bumper in just keep close eye on him thats all u gotta do...see i attached my bumper and sewed several more strings to it to where my son could even pull at it if he wanted too.put it this way i had to cut the bumper of because it was tied up so good i couldnt even pull at it
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2008