Bad Habits

Do you have any advice for breaking bad habits? I quit smoking 2 weeks ago, but am having a really super hard time with quitting fast food and soda

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 4:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Wow your braver than I am giving up 3 things at once. I dont smoke but soda is my weakness.
    NewTakeOnLife09

Answer by NewTakeOnLife09 at 4:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am seriously about to go get a dr. pepper
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 4:57 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• What helps me over come things like fast food and soda is learning what's in them and what exactly they do to your body. The yeast from the white processed bread buns grows yeast in your colon and can't be properly digested. Neither can the processed meats in most fast food which has been cured with nitrates. Eating it triples your risk for colon cancer. Soda has 0 nutritional value. 3 sodas per day over the course of one year amounts, calorie-wise, to over 40lbs of weight gain (meaning if you've stayed at or around your normal weight all year, your body had to work extra to burn JUST your sodas off!). Drinking soda increases your risk of getting type II diabetes. Caffeine also beats up on the adrenal glands and can keep you from losing weight (or making maintaining your weight harder) and can affect your mood. The list goes on.

All motivators for me to choose differently! Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• A huge thing that has helped me is to replace those things I'm trying to quit with healthy alternatives. My DH and I joined a gym, and after spending the time working out - a soda just sounds like a bad idea. :)
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 6:26 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• When you figured it out let me know.I have the same problem.LOL
    LND

Answer by LND at 8:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Congrats on quitting smoking! I'm right there with you. I'm trying to quit smoking and start eating healthy too. I'm doing good with both, I think. What gets me to stick to eating healthy, don't buy any junk food or keep unhealthy foods in the house. Now quitting fast food will be hard, because it's convenient while your out to just grab something. But try first thing in the morning planning all your meals through the day, and you'll find yourself looking forward to eating what you planned. As for caffeine. I'm an addict too :-/ Drink you a cup or two of coffee in the morning, just to get that boost, then drink water through the rest of the day. Try to drink only water for a couple of days, and you'll find you actually WANT water.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I think you should fight one battle at a time. Cut yourself some slack and go get a damn Dr. Pepper if it makes you happy. Good for you to quit smoking. That will kill you much faster than a Dr. Pepper ever will. One step at a time Mamma.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I'm all for moderation, except with smoking, I quit a month ago and I'm dying for one still..............Eat what you want, just eat a small amount. Buy those 100 calorie sized Dr. peppers. You know those lil bitty cans that are so cute. And get a burger, just eat half and give the other half to the trash. Or don't order fires and just eat a burger, Make sure to drink a whole 8oz before you eat anything bad for you so you aren't as hungry. Make them a reward you get occasionally instead of just part of your daily diet.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 4:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• you rockCongrats on quitting smoking. Damn, maybe one day soon (puff puff) I too will quit. Lord knows I've done enough volunteer work with the American Cancer and Lung Association. My son keeps telling me denial is not a river in the Nile. I also agree I would only give up one thing at a time. This helps to increase the success rate. Stay focused on your goals. Keep me posted.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 4:21 AM on Apr. 21, 2009