Sort of a poll with a question for Wiccans/Pagans/Witches. Magickal names.

Did you/have you/will you/would you take(n) a magickal name?

If someone were to decide to take a magickal name and told you it was going to be something like Windy Willow, what would you think of it?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 5:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Windy Willow...that's original! I don't have a magickal name but rather a name I use in social circles online that more or less "fits" me. I guess it could be considered my magickal name, just never really applied a label to it, it's just the name that my fellow Pagan/Witchy friends refer to me as. It's my totem animal and a reference to my personality. It's also my pen name .

Blessings!
    Dancing Dragonfly ;)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 6:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I don't have a magickal name, it is not part of my belief system. For those who practice ceremonial "High" magick, having a separate name for magickal working takes on a different significance.

This site seems to be very helpful in discussing craft names in depth, you might enjoy it! http://www.spiritualitea.com/articles/askname.shtml Really a very good article, I thought.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I had one -Æren Ravenwood. It's now my ren faire character name (I couldn't do away with it, I loved it so much).

A magikal name is something that should be personal and meaningful to you. Its symbolic for all the things that make you magikal, and shouldn't be taken lightly, IMO.

http://www.workingwitch.com/names/names3.html
    This is another good site.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• One had not come to me yet... but I am patient.... it will in time ....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yes, I have a magickal name. For me its more of a name I felt described me better than my given name.

Ive read and been told its something meaningful to you and odds are good if you hear something 3 times it was meant to be yours.

GL finding yours but just know its not required to have one so if you dont feel one suits you or whatnot...its ok.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Mine is a name I took because it is one I have always wished my mother had named me. It's meaning is symbolic of my element and my nature. I like Windy Willow--it makes me remember a song from the 70's called Windy, about a free-spirited, nature loving girl that everyone knows. And that might just be appropriate for you.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Windy Willow is a very nice magical name. I know magical names arent required, but I have one. Not everyone does. I think it's a personal thing that needs to have more meaning for the person who has it than for everyone else. Not everyone tells their magical name. I prefer to keep it private between myself and the God and Goddess. I might use it if I were part of a coven of practicing witches, however I have never been fortunate to live where there is one nearby. Everyone has their own opinion on this matter.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Did you/have you/will you/would you take(n) a magickal name?

I do, actually I have a few names that I use for different activities.

I would think they liked 'w's, perhaps wanted a connection to the elements of air & earth, and maybe were a little bit of a hippy.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I have one and love it... Windy Willow is great. I actually was very spacific in what I wanted when I was deciding on mine. It's neumerologically aligned with my given "muggle" name. It's also a name that conects me to my Celtic heritiage. I think everyone should have one, even if it's just a different spelling of your given name, just something to show the difference between who you were and who you are...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Windy Willow is a great magickal name. Mine is symbolic and I keep it between my God and Goddess and me. I use it during rituals and in spell work. Some people have more than one for magickal work and one for their Pagan/Wiccan community.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009