My 3 year old has 4 teeth that the dentist wants to put crowns on??

crowns cost a few thousand. My daughter is 3 and her dentist wants to put "split crowns" on her 2 front teeth and crowns on 2 decayed teeth.

Is there other options besides crowns? The dentist didn't offer any. Also, one toothe is sensitive, a molar with cavity, should that be the only one done for now ?

nacechik

Asked by nacechik at 7:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would ask the dentist if they are absolutely necessary. Explain that your childs health is important, but the cost is scary, if they are really needed he/she may have payment options.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I can see that something needs to be done to hold the spaces for the permanent teeth. I wonder if retainers would work just as well and not be so expensive- they used to be a wire thing that was placed to hold the space if a tooth needed to be pulled. Maybe they aren't used anymore.

Answer by Bmat at 8:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I would seek out a 2nd opinion if you could.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Get a second opinion at a reputable dentist. 

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 8:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I agree with getting a second opinion from another dental office. I can't imagine having a three year old go through that, eeek!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Space retainers, maybe,but crowns? It seems a bit premature. Crowns are usually for permanent teeth,aren't they? And check on preventing decay in baby teeth. My kids didn't have a cavity until they were about 12 or 13 years old. Ask about "Sealants" for molars,too. Prevention is important.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Two of my children seem to have inherited my weak teeth. My now 7 year old had cavities on her front two teeth at 3 and the dentist wanted to cap them. The cavities were smaller so we decided to make sure she brushed well and wait. They fell out a couple years ago and never caused her pain(or we would have had it done). My 2 year old does as well. His dentist thinks that he may have not developed enamel on the front four properly. They came in with weird white patches. I will let them cap two of those because the fronts have worn off. The other two we are hoping to just get filled.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• They do not put spacers on front teeth. I know because my 3 year old has lost both of hers. I have opinions from 3 dentists on it.
    I don't know about the crowns.
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 10:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• uh... time to tone down the sugar and crap! A 3 year old should not have rotten teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My 4 year old granddaughter was just found to have cavities on two of her molars. I asked about sodas and juice, and she doesn't get sodas at all and just diluted juice. I asked about brushing, and they admit they haven't been careful enough about that. Since fluoride was put in toothpaste and water I hadn't heard of children getting cavities, so this seems curious.

Answer by Bmat at 2:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2009