How do I protect against Pink Eye?

I run a home daycare, just 4 other kids besides my own 2. They range from 18 months to almost 4. Anyway, the youngest we think has pink eye, he's going to the doctor today...my question is do I need to wipe and clean and disinfect everything? Or does this infection only pass from person to person contact? I will do my research now, but wanted to hear from other moms. Thank you so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Health

• Handwashing... pink eye is easily spread from one eye to another by eye rubbing and is often caused in the first place when nose and mouth germs on the hands get rubbed into the eyes.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 8:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• you need to just wash towels and clothes that would come in contact with the eye along with lots of hand washing before and after touching eyes. but disinfecting everything wouldn't hurt.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:21 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Lots of good handwashing. I'd also take some well diluted bleach water and wipe some hard surfaces down (but I'd do that anyways with a daycare). The only way to get it is to touch your eye after you've gotten it on your hands.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• If a person with pink eye touches something and then you touch that object and then your eyes. thats how its speads. Disinfect everything and wash hands always. When I worked in daycare and a child came up with pink eye thats what we did. This is wear pink eye comes from in the first place and all other contagious things, roto virus, flu. etc. not washing hands. Someone goes 2 and doesn't wash and then touches something and then so on- you get intestinal illnesses, like diarreha. If they sneeze or get mucas on something then you touch it, you get colds, etc.and other mucas related issue.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Handwashing. Pink eye is highly contagious and the child that has it should not be allowed back until he/she has been on the meds for 24 hrs or they are still contagious. I would also Lysol everything that you can. Wash all the toys that you can in bleach water. Keep the kids from touching their eyes, the infection will be on the hands and whatever else they touch. Also, a person can have pink eye and not have crusty or pink eyes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2009