Tell me, Am I doing the right thing???????

My son 2 and weighs about 25 lbs which puts him in the 10th percentile. We have had alot of trouble with him eating. If he is being "entertained" he will eat and eat. We have resorted to this b/c he is soooo small. However this is getting out of hand. It's like he HATES mealtime and so do I! I have come to the conclusion that he hates it b/c we entertain him and then he gets so FULL he hates eating! My mother-in-law doesn't believe "my theory" . So the past 2 days I have went by some guidleline I found in books as to serving sizes at this age and let him decide. If course I had to let him get hungry the 1st 2 meals of so and not entertain him but by dinner he was hungry and could of cared less if we entertained him he just ate!! I know that sounds bad. My mother-in-law is concerned b/c she feels he should be eating much more then what the books say!! I made her a list of serving sizes and gave it to her today.

dec06mom

Asked by dec06mom at 9:41 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• So this is what he ate yesterday does this seem like enough?

Breakfast- 3/4 of a waffle w/syrup and 1 piece of bacon

Snack -goldfish only a few

Lunch- 4 chick-fil a nuggets and 3 FF

Snack- goldfish

Dinner- 1 cup of pears. 2 tbsp peas, 1/2 pasta

he also drank 20-24 oz of milk
    dec06mom

Answer by dec06mom at 9:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• We had one child who didn't eat much when she was little. When I spoke to our doctor about my concerns, he assured me that she was eating enough, that she was healthy, and that she would eat when she got hungry. She is now 36 and is a size 4. She eats very healthily, but she eats what she wants. I hope this will reassure you.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Do he drink juice with his meals.?

But, in my opinion he is ok. If he is eating at least a little he is fine. My baby is 21 month and he is in the 13%.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• He probably ate plenty if he wasn't asking for more food. I would not entertain him and just put the food in front of him and if he eats he eats..If he doesn't he doesn't. My son was always tiny and even now, he is 13 and weighs 76lbs. Not even in the 10%. I'm sure he will be fine. As long as he does gain weight and isn't complaining of being hungry.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I think he's fine, you are doing a good job getting him on good eating habits, BTW my daughter fell OFF the charts at 6 months old, so dont' worry about the charts
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• He eats enough and drinks enough milk. Maybe take away the snacks for a couple of days to see if he seems a little more hungry for his meals. He's eating and drinking fine. Not all kids want to eat very much. Also kids go through eating habits that can last a year at a time. If he looks really skinny than maybe he should have his iron levels tested? Otherwise he sounds fine to me. Stop stressing about it because I'm sure you're stressing him out. So when it comes to meal time don't force it. My son went through a period of about 4-5 months where he wouldn't eat dinner. He would eat breakfast, some snacks, very little lunch, a little snack and then no dinner. It was stressing me out until I told myself that he's healthy and if he was hungry he would eat. He eventually started eating a lot more and new things too.
    Anonymous

• I think your son is fine as well. I wouldn't worry unless your doctor tells you to. My son is almost 2 and only weighs 25 lbs. Sometimes he eats, sometimes not so much. My husband gets paranoid sometimes but I just tell him to calm down.
    -----Think about it, how many people do you know who have starved with food in front of them??
    If he isn't eating that much, just make sure what he is eating is extra healthy.
    mommy2jeremiah

Answer by mommy2jeremiah at 12:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My son has always been in the bottom percentiles as far as weight. When he was your sons age (and even now at times...he's almost five), he would eat hardly anything and it freaked me out. What I did with my son was lots of between meal snacks...and healthy ones. It was like giving him several small meals a day instead of just three. He eats very well now, just had a homemade banana muffin, a bowl of organic yogurt with granola and a bunch of grapes for breakfast. My MIL is always trying to feed my child too. My son eats the correct portions though and what he eats is usually very healthy, so I don't worry. He's small, but still within normal range. It's when he falls off the charts that you need to worry.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 12:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• no child will ever starve himself in front of a plate of food. If you turn food into an issue, it will continue to be an issue. Put the food in front of him. If he doesn't eat, fine. If he does, just make sure he is eating the right stuff (fruits and veggies, not pizza and fries) and he can eat as much as he wants without getting too full. if you let on that you're stressing about his eating, he'll get stressed too. Make it a "no show to see here, folks" kind of event, and everyone will be fine.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:40 AM on Apr. 10, 2009