Should I buy a new car seat?

I was T-boned in an accident a few months ago. The car hit my door only going about 20-25mph. My son sits behind me in his car seat (rear facing) His door did not take any impact, my window was shattered but his was intact. I've read that when the car seat is involved in an accident you should replace it; but was it really "involved"? I looked it over after the accident and there is nothing visibly wrong, it feels as sturdy as it did when I first bought it 8 months ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would replace it, brand new. Like Christine said, can't see unseen damage. Better safe than sorry hun. When I purchased my 2nd car seat for my growing son, I dropped it on the way out of the store. I replaced it with another. You never know. Its worth the money to replace a car seat than not to be able to replace your child or take away those boo boo's. Not to be grim, but things like that happen with all the best intentions. I hope you both are well. Take care.
    Pffft

Answer by Pffft at 10:03 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I would call the local police department. They could tell you about the impact of the crash on the car seat and even check it for you.

My gut says no,but you never know if the internal parts of the seat took damage.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 9:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yes. Anytime you are in an accident even if it's minor. You have no clue if there is unseen damage.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yes, even if it's minor. They are designed to hold in that kind of situation. However, even after a small blow, the overall stength of this seat probably suffered and it may not do as well in another accident. Why risk your child's life? There could be structural damange that you do not see but it weakened the seat. Buy a new one.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• THIS IS THE OP----Thanks... I've been struggling with the decision because the seat seems fine.. but I have this nagging in the back of my head. I don't really have the money right now, I'm about to move, but you ladies are right; Better safe than sorry.

Any suggestions for a new one? (I'd like to keep it around $200)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Check out Target or Wal-Mart. They have car seats like $50.00. Depending on what you want I'm sure you will find one under $200.00.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• OP AGAIN
    TiccledBlue--It's hard to tell since these are not spoken words, but the other responses don’t come off nearly as condescending as yours does. If you didn’t mean it that way then sorry I misunderstood; but if you did you should try to not be such a witch in your responses. This is supposed to be a place for advice; where women can feel comfortable asking for help. Obviously if it had been a major accident there would have been no question, but because the impact was SOLEY my door and all it left was a dent, and a shattered window... I wasn't sure at what point it was considered "involved".

Thank you to the others who offered (what seemed to be) nonjudgmental, yet still informative responses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Was their an insurance claim? They should have paid for a new car seat for you. I've always like the better safe than sorry approach. Might as well replace it b/c you just don't know what may have happeend to the structure, ya know? I have had good luck with the cosco brands. What did you have? Are you looking for something similair or a convertable? There are soo many options out there and at reasonable prices. I'd recommend taking baby shopping and letting him sit in a few and see how he fits and what type of growing room there is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Hey this looks like a really good site. Didn't realize this, but glad I know now! http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/ChildRestraints/ReUse/RestraintReUse.htm

Sounds like your seat is probably ok to keep using.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Your kid, your kid's safety. You want to risk it, that's your choice. Personally, I could never do something like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2009