i am 27 weeks pregnant and thinking alot about breastfeeding..is there anything i should know?

i know that all moms r different but is there any advise or info that i can have ? how to tell if they eat enough? besst position to place them? pumping? storing? anything i can get will help for sure!

amanda198524

Asked by amanda198524 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can take a breastfeeding class through your hospital. They're very informative. I can't remember if mine cost any money.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• It will be hard, but, don't give up. And at first, they may nurse nonstop. That is normal and they are getting plenty to eat as long as they gain weight instead of lose. And as long as they are having wet and dirty diapers. Feed on demand!! To make sure you make enough milk. Mine would drink normally from the left side, but, only football hold from the right. Drink lots of water also. At least at first, don't give a bottle or pacifier, to avoid nipple confusion.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I took a bf class for free through my local WIC office. Also try contacting your local La Leche Legue as they have quite a bit of information. Also when you're in the hospital the nurses are a great help. You'll just have to find the most comfortable postion for you and your baby. I know for some women a boby pillow can help get the baby to the right height and angle.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 10:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• thanks alot!! u guys r a great big help!!
    amanda198524

Answer by amanda198524 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am a first time mommy. I didn;t know that you had to build up your milk supply. So nurse and pump as much as you can and then at about 2 months it will be well established and you can feed your baby opn demand and not have to worry if he/she is getting enough.As long as they are growing. They are getting enough :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• "How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?" http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

"How to Get Your Milk Supply Off to a Good Start" http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug05p142.html

Nursing is the biological norm for mothers and babies. It is a relationship that links the baby's immune system to the mother's, provides the baby with stimulation and connection while providing the mother with stress reducing hormones. It even feeds the baby.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• get good nursing bras

use lanolin (particularly in the beginning)

if it's painful don't just wait it out, call your doctor to see what he/she can do and ask about "Dr. Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Cream" I had a painful 6 weeks and my ob prescribed that and all the pain went away in less than a day.

Good luck!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• one great sign the baby is getting enough is by the wet diapers! 6-8 in a 24 hour period is a great sign! one great piece of advice the LC gave me is "watch the baby not the clock". you'll feel like a dairy cow the first few weeks because the baby will be attached to you, but that is normal and healthy! I recommend you get a boppy pillow, but there are other good nursing pillows out there too. drink plenty of water, eat small healthy meals throughout the day. if you pump, dont worry if you only pump like 1-2 oz. that does not mean you are drying out. a machine will never match the natural stimulation your baby provides. in a regular freezer milk will usually last for a good month!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009