just starting therapy

ok my son is 16 months and he is not walking or talking well he says dada but not directed towards him hey,eat, and uhhh..uhhh...but not directed towards those things. and i took my son to the pediatrician and made her aware of my concers and she straight up tells me their is nothing wrong w/ my so and i let her kno i didnt ask her that i told her i was a little concerned and she held my sons hand and had him walt to me and is going to say he can walk and i let her kno that her holding his hand is not walkin. and she basically tells me other wise. and he walks with his legs so far apart and everytime you hold his hand and walks beside you hes stepping on your feet. one thing he will do is if he hears music he will stand up and dance but not walk....im sorry so jumbled up but he also walks to the side/like sideways!! is their something wrong with my baby??

cuttievachck

Asked by cuttievachck at 10:08 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If your pediatrician said no, then I wouldn't be worried. She sees babies/toddlers every day so she knows what to look for. But if you are still worried then get a 2nd opinion.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I would suggest trying to get your son into therapy. There should be a program for 0-3 year olds that is free in your county and state. There may not be anything wrong but they will give your son an evaluation and he can recieve therapy to help him where he is behind.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• If you are concerned, call Early Intervention. They will evaluate your son and recommend services if he qualifies. Either way, your mind will be put at ease. If you can't find the number, call the school district's special education department and they can help you.

You don't have to go through your doctor. This is something you can do on your own. Be proactive.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• thanks everyone
    cuttievachck

Answer by cuttievachck at 10:36 AM on Apr. 9, 2009