• In the Spotlight:

what is the best whay to get kids to do chores?

i have a 4,6,8,10,14,16,and 20 year old. what would be good choirs for thowes ages?
at what age do you think kids should start doing chores?

sgmommy40

Asked by sgmommy40 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son at 6 is making his own bed, picking up his room, takes out the garbage and does his own laundry. He also picks up the sticks in the front, side and backyard so I can mow. He helps bag leaves in the fall too. We started when he was little and had him do simple things. It is just what he does now. My husband and I are very neat people so he has learned from watching us. He sees us pick up after ourselves and mimiced our behavior.

Kids will do what is expected of them. Put up a chore chart and expect your kids to do theirs. If they don't have consequences. Your 20 year old should be out the door if they are not helping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I don't know when is a good time to start, but I know I was doing dishes at 5 yrs, making my bed and cleaning my room before that.
    After 10 years they should be able to do almost any household chores. A four year old should be able to help pick up toys, and make his/her bed.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Honey with that many kids at those ages, you should already know. It is too late for anyone on here to help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Well with that many (bless you) you need a really big chore chart! OH or a chore jar put in all the things that need to be done and have them pick one out. With the age range you could color code like youngers pick a red paper and olders a blue...
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Every child is different. There is no magic age at which they become able to do chores. I think the best way to get them to do things is to ask them to help you do them. It's a wonderful opportunity for you to spend some one on one time with each child, and most children enjoy that time. Work doesn't seem nearly as much like work when it is shared. Eventually, you should be able to turn over some of the responsibility. I've found that all I need do is say that I will help, and things seem to get done.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Cont.

My son has plenty of time to play and is not always working. Because he picks up after himself daily he never has that day he has to clean his room all day. He is not a discipline problem at all so he has much more free time than many kids his age who are in trouble a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• At three.. them kids would have already had a crap load to do.. Your not there maid mama..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2009