what do you do when your friend's kid hits yours?

kind of a spin off of the other question about whether you like their kids or not.

i was just curious because i'm not sure what i would do.. my DD and her "friends" are all still infants-toddlers.

what would be appropriate and inappropriate for you?

& what if that child's parents were there and did nothing.. or at least nothing satisfactory IYO.

i KNOW what i would do if my child hit another. i definitely discipline her, in FRONT of that child and make sure she apologizes.

would you yell at the kid? or just talk to him firmly? or.. what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• My friend never disciplines her child ever. She is more of a free spirit and thinks kids no better than parents. lol Her daughter hit my son and I went over to her and told her no don't do that. She did it again. I told my friend to do something or leave. She left. We have not spoken to each other since. I am fine with it because if she cannot respect my child enough to keep her brat from hitting him she is not someone I need to be friends with. If my child misbehaves I take care of it. To not do that is crappy parenting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• She is my former friend I guess. lol
    Anonymous

• LOL. well, i certainly hope i would never have to resort to that. i hope my friends are smarter than that.

but if it must be done.. then so be it.

-OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My neighbor has a son 4 and my dd is 5...he can be very rude and selfish..
    and when he is I send his ass back home...and I do tell his parents why..
    I also am teaching my daughter to tell him if he is not playing fair or he is mean..she is not
    going to play with him anymore..
    For the most part it works and if it doesn't he goes back home!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:29 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• my neighbors daughter slapped my daughter twice in the face///i saw it.i was mortified.she slapped her just to prevent my daughter from telling a secret.i didnt know what to do.i talked to the mom and she said it wasnt a malicious slap.i said what are you kidding.and then she denied it calling me the bad mother.(dont get that)after the mom flipped me off.i have to say and this nothing against military children.but i think there raised in a very militant household.the father is a captain in the army.well they have since separated.but i do think there is alot of abuse going on over there behind close doors....we do not speak any more.she is a good liar to the rest of the neighbors..ooppss my fault????????
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• raineydays, that's horrible!! i'd be furious with that woman!
    Anonymous

• IMO I have found that making a child apoligize does not help b/c there emotions are so crazy that they may have felt justified in hitting even though we know it is wrong.. I discipline then ask my daughter what she can do to make the other child feel better she usually chooses a hug or giving them a toy... ...... As for the other question all my close friends with children believe in the same discipline as I do.
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 1:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• hmm mommymandaleigh,

i really like that idea... as a matter of fact as i was typing out my question part of me knew making my child apologize doesn't really fix anything. it's a show. but i really like your idea. "make the other child feel better".. i'll have to steal that from you when my DD is older. Thank you so much!

-OP
    Anonymous

• Verbally I would do the same thing that I would do with my children. I would not use any other discipline unless given the "ok" by the other parent. But, for the most part, unless someone is bleeding, I try and let them work it out (even if it comes to hitting). I feel its best to let the children work out a "pack order" because they will have to one day learn that we will not always be there to work it out for them. This of course varies depending on the child's age and extremity of behavior.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009