Cashing Checks

Ok, so I recently closed my Wachovia acct because they were stealing from my personal savings. Saying it was bank fees...yadda yadda. A friend of mine sent me a personal check for my baby shower. Now i have no place to cash it. I know you can go to the bank on the check...but their isn't one close; because she sent this check from out of state. So what do i do?!? I know liquor stores and check cashing places charge. Can i go to any bank, or customer service of a grocery store?

BrittAldrmn

Asked by BrittAldrmn at 11:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• That anon was jumping to conclusions way too soon. And being very rude. But i know what she is talking about. I had a savings account (that i thought they said was free and no monthly charge) and there wasn't much money in there like $25.oo is all. And everytime i got a statement i never looked at it because i knew i hadn' tdeposited anything. Well, on day i got a letter that said the savings account had been closed for being OVERDRAWN by like $6.00. And when i called to look into it they said oh yes mam, it got charges monthly fees for not keeping a minimum balance of $300.00 in and it overdrew it so they closed it. So basically i wasted $25.00 because i didn't understand about a minumum balance limit. If i had, i would have closed the account myself and kept my $25.00. ANyways, so unfortunately as crazy as it sounds you can overdraw a savings account and fees on a savings accoutn seem, dumb to me anyways.
    Anonymous

• Any bank should cash the check, although some require you have an account with them to cash the check. As far as customer service, most places will not cash personal checks. Either way, whether you go to a bank, check cashier or find a customer service that will cash the check, you will be charged.
    Rose87

Answer by Rose87 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• So you were overdrawn and they took money you owed them? That is not stealing. There are places that will cash a check they will charge you for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I was NOT OVERDRAWN?!?! It's NOT a checking; it's a savings account...which are supposed to be free. Only charge if you use another banks ATM, which i don't They took $5 out of my savings every month just for being a member of the bank. Which is call BS. I had $100 in there, and then i look a few days ago..there was $0.

P.S...if you don't have an answer that is helpful..then DONT RESPOND. I'm glad you put your answer as anonymous...because being 7months pregnant, you would have got cussed out!!
    BrittAldrmn

Answer by BrittAldrmn at 11:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• my suggestion would be to open a new account at another bank. There are plenty out there. Do your research and make sure there are no hidden fees. Then you won't have to pay to cash the check.
    MommyofTwins616

Answer by MommyofTwins616 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• LOL
    Some people are just stupid.

'...overdrawn' hahaha overdrawn in savings? that makes a lot of sense..
    Rose87

Answer by Rose87 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I don't know if you have a US Bank where you live, but they will cash any check I think for $10, which is a lot less then the check cashing places.
    lily0163E

Answer by lily0163E at 1:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I used to work at Us bank, we wouldn't cash a personal check unless you had an account there. Most banks are that way. We would cash a check for someone if someone with an account signed with them. That person signing with them though would be responsible if the check bounced.
    Anonymous

• some people are just stupid....

LOL...you DO realize that some banks (Wachovia, I had an account with them for a while), CHARGE you a monthly fee when your savings or checking accounts go under a certain dollar amount! They weren't "stealing" $5 from you to make themselves rich! LMAO!

I have TD Bank now, and they will charge me $15 per month if my checking account goes below $100--so I don;t let it! They will automatically close my savings account if it falls below $100, and after the penalty fee will transfer the balance to my checking account.

Yah gots to read the fine print! LMAO! Banks stealing from their customers...LMAO!
    Anonymous

• Who is this anonoymous person?!! It's funny you dont have the BALLS to post your name. Kinda cowardly, that you keep being rude. But, won't let yourself be known. Some ppl seriously need to grow UP!!! Are you are mom..or are you a kid?! geez. Some people need to just learn to keep their mouths shut. If you don't know what you are talking about...arguing won't make you look more intellient. Just makes you sound very IGNORANT!

Thanks to all the moms that weren't rude with their comment. You were really helpful.
    BrittAldrmn

Answer by BrittAldrmn at 4:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2009