What is the best way to wean my 1 year old from breastfeedng?

I am leaving town on May 3rd without him and want to be done and dried up by then. This is possible, right?

magpie4325

Asked by magpie4325 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start substituting whole milk for one feeding a day. Do this for a few days and then take away another feeding and substitute and so on......until you are no longer breast feeding. It will be tough but that is how I did it and my milk started drying up and my sons were happy.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Drop one feeding a day every 2-3 days. The last feeding is the hardest one to drop, you may get engorged, so be prepared!!! Put ice packs on your breasts if you are engorged, and just pump enough to relieve some of the pressure, but be careful not to pump too much otherwise you'll just produce more milk ( milk production is supply and demand, but I'm sure you already know that!!) That is how I did it when I weaned my youngest. He was only nursing 3 times a day at the one year mark. The last feeding was the most difficult one to drop because I got so engorged, even though I dropped his feedings gradually over a period of days. I remember laying on the couch with an ice pack on one boob and a bag of frozen broccoli on the other because we didn't have anymore ice!! Hopefully, this won't happen to you though.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Make sure that your son will drink milk before you cut him off cold turkey. As long as he is eating a balanced diet and drinking a form of milk, then you can simply remove 1 feeding per week. This helps your breasts dry up so you don' t get engorged. Go ahead and express an oz. or so from each side when you feel like you need a little relief.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2009