First cold and first time mom! Help!

My 7 mo has a cold.! Yikes. We were up most of the night last night. Any tips on how to deal with a cold for a 7 mo? Is there a safe way I can elevate her at night so she can breathe better? How should I wipe her nose?-I don't want to hurt it and make it all red. Any tips at all!? Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have her sleep in her car seat or put a pillor under her mattress so that it is elevated. Suction her nose every so often with that bulb syringe, and get some tissue that has the lotion on it to wipe her nose that helps not to get her nose to red. Lots of fluids, and a humidifier.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• put a pillow under her mattress, sorry for the typo
    AK_aries

• Well what I did with my kids was start a steaming hot shower and stood in the bathroom with my kids, that helped open up their sinuses. Also a humidier in their room helps too. Elevating her wouldn't be a bad idea, just depends on how SHE feels about that lol. Get the kleenex with lotion or aloe in them to wipe her little nose. Best of luck to ya, it's always hard when the little ones are sick
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:23 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Take a pillow and put it under her mattress so that she is elevated (some people also suggest letting baby sleep in the carseat, if they will).

When wiping her nose, start higher up so that you are pushing snot out of her nose, instead of just wiping away what is showing. Its the closest thing to blowing her nose that you can do. You can also try a nasal suction thing that they give you are the hospital when baby is born (you can also buy them at any baby supply place).

Try taking her into the bathroom with a hot shower running. The steam will help break up some of the stuff in her lungs.

Make sure to offer fluids constantly - if she won't take her normal amounts of formula, thats OK, so long as she is drinking 1/2 of her normal intake she won't be in danger of dehydration. Get her some Pedialyte if you are worried her fluid intake is too low.

Thats all I got for now - good luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• You can buy plain saline spray at the stores. If you put a few drops in her nose, it will losen all the mucus and help her get it out.
    Also (like everyone said) an elevated mattress, a humidifier, and suction are about all that you can do. ~ Be sure that you get help if you need it.....it can be really exhausting dealing with a sick baby, lack of sleep, etc. Try to sleep when she does so that you can have enough energy to take good care of her.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:30 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• in addition to what everyone else said, I think johnson's makes a mentholated bubble bath for babies, just to help her congestion, the saline drops are also great
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I had my son sleep in his car seat and we ran a Vicks vaporizer in the same room he was in. They also have a vapor bath which helped alot. As for nose wiping I buy the Puffs with aloe or lotion because they are soft and didn't seem to hurt her nose, the suction bulb also worked. Good luck!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:40 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Oh! I totally forgot! Vicks makes a baby rub. That coupled with propping her up at night really helped her sleep.

And it is specifically for babies, so you don't have to put it just on their feet, it is made for their chest (I also recommend putting some on the back of her hands so that she she is covered with her pajamas or blanket she can still get the effects.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I put a thicker blanket under my sons mattress on one end and had the humidfier going, gave him a bath in johnson's vapor bath with baby's vicks on his chest
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009