Anovulation/Thyroid Issues :(

Well, this is the start of the 15th month I have been TTC... I starting tracking my temps after reading "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. (Which every woman should read, TTC or not) I found through my temps that I do not ovulate and have a thyroid problem. Any TTC ladies have natural remedies to encourage ovulation? I'm taking pre-natals and fertility herbs now. How about handling the thyroid issue while TTC? I'm going to by OB/GYN at the end of the month.. I just want to do something proactive about this now...any advice?

burning_woman

Asked by burning_woman at 11:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I have severe hypothyroidism and I highly recommend going to the endocrinologist for this. If you want to stay natural you can use armor thyroid, but you need a prescription and you need to know how much to take. Do you have thin hair and dry skin? Are you cold all the time? Or flash hot/cold?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I would suggent seeing a ND in your area (Naturopathic Doctor) I personally would not like to be put on drugs while trying to conceive. I am on thyroid support -
    Benefits:
    •Nourishes the thyroid gland.
    •Enhances the actions of the thyroid hormones.
    •Buffers the effects of stress and fatigue.

Thyroid Support [Glandular] is a blend of nutritional and herbal supplements specially designed to nourish the thyroid gland and to support the actions of the thyroid hormones. The thyroid hormones regulate many body functions, including oxygen use, basal metabolic rate, cellular metabolism, growth and development, and body temperature.

http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/products/catalog/product/default.aspx?stocknum=1228
    melissamommyof3

Answer by melissamommyof3 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I have recently been cold all the time. I wasn't before my first pregnancy. Same thing with dry skin, I am constantly putting on lotion which I never had to do before. My hair is still pretty thick though. I also gained 30 pounds THIS YEAR!! (despite exercise and mostly healthy diet) grrr.
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 11:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Ok, I just want to say. Did you know you can die from hypothyroidism? I almost did. Came very close.
    It can affect your heart, liver and lungs. It can cause vasular problems. It can also cause birth defects. (If it is low enough.)
    Please get your TSH and free T3 and T4 checked. Your thyroid may be fine, but you may not be able to convert T3 to T4.
    Your thyroid is not a little off. If you are showing outward symptoms it is probably pretty far off. Oh and it also causes cognitive problems as well. Such as problems with understanding what you read and spatial disturbances.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• If you aren't ovulating then when you see your Gyno, he'll probably put you on Clomid which makes you ovuate. Without ovulating, you won't get pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• You need to have your thyroid taken care of before you get pregnant, miscarriage rates go up dramaticly if your thyriod problem is not under control, i lost 2 babies because of this, before i had mine under control, good luck.
    mandyjh

Answer by mandyjh at 12:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Thank you ladies!
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 1:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2009