Blood on the diaper

I noticed a trace of blood on my son's diaper a week and half ago. I dismissed it as a result of constipation. My baby sitter told me a few days later she also saw a little blood on his poop as well. Today, I noticed a little bit more -- he is only one and have been experiencing constipations. Does anybody else seen this before and is this something serious? I emailed his Dr. already this morning.

ZuMama

Asked by ZuMama at 12:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• poor baby the Dr will give him a stool softer .My daughter had a similar issue turns out they did an Xray she had eaten her sisters Barbie shoes lol .We found it 2 days later Guess WHere .She was bleeding for days after that too
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• A little spot here and there while constipated can be normal. As long as the amount doesn't get worse. But if your son is constipated that bad for that long then you need to speak to your pedi about this so you can take care of it right away.
    Anonymous

• I've seen that with my son due to his consitipation but he's always had constipation issues, so if that's relatively new, I'd try to find out why that's happening anyway.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My son never had constipation problem up until a couple of weeks ago. I am pretty sure it is because of the change from formula to whole milk. I am giving him more vegie and fruit --- it helped a little, but not much.
    ZuMama

Answer by ZuMama at 12:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am thinking that it is a fissure. A tear in the rectum from straining to push.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• You should probably call the doc since the blood was in the stool, it could be a sign of something more serious (though it probably isn't I'd call just to be safe)
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 1:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I read an article on internet which says this could be sign of dehydration..probably he want more liquid intake and if you find blood in the diapers you should take him to the ER or pedi.
    revathy

Answer by revathy at 1:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2009